Part 3

"It's been a week and Lando still hasn't replied to any of my messages." George sighed, bedding his head on his boyfriend's chest.

"Same here, he's definitely avoiding us. But why? What did we do?", Alex finally voiced, what they had both been wondering for days.

"I have no idea and it drives me crazy. I miss talking to him, this feels so weird."

Alex' eyes suddenly widened. "Oh my god, what if he found out about our relationship and that's why he's acting like this?"

George shifted, so he could look up at his face. "Nah, that can't be it. Come on, it's Lando we're talking about after all. We know he's not homophobic."

"No, that's not what I mean, of course, he's not homophobic.", Alex shook his head. "But what if he thinks we don't want to spend time with him anymore because we're together now? What if he feels like he's third-wheeling and only annoying us?"

"Hm, that could really be it. We've got to talk to him about it. I don't want him to feel left out." George mumbled and cuddled up to Alex' chest again.

"Then I guess we'll have to wait until we see him again."

However, waiting until the next time they saw Lando, took longer than they expected. The Brit successfully managed to avoid them for two more weeks in which they only saw him in his car on track or during interviews and briefings, so they weren't able to talk.

Finally, George couldn't bear it anymore. When he came across Carlos on his way back from lunch, he basically ran up to him and dragged the Spaniard into a quiet corner of the paddock.

"Carlos, please help me, I can't stand it anymore! Why is Lando avoiding us?", he begged, clearly on the verge of despair.

"I don't know, what you're talking about." Carlos tried his best, but he had never been a good liar.

"Oh come on, we both know that's bullshit! He's been ignoring me and Alex for weeks now and you clearly know more than we do."
George grabbed the McLaren driver's shoulder to stop him from leaving.

"Please!", he added. "He hasn't talked to us in weeks and he always looks so sad. It breaks my heart, please tell me what we did wrong."

George let go of Carlos' shoulder again, quickly trying to cover up the tears that had started welling up in his eyes now.

"Dios mío, okay.", Carlos sighed. "But if Lando asks, you didn't hear it from me!"

"Of course, I won't tell. I just want to know what's wrong. I miss him so much." George eagerly wiped his eyes and looked up at his colleague again, an expectant, but also slightly anxious look on his face now.

Carlos took a deep breath before he whispered, "Lando found out about your relationship."

Before George could react in any way, the Spaniard added, "Look, I can't tell you anything more, I don't want to break Lando's trust like that. But you really should talk to each other. You're both miserable, I can't watch this any longer. Follow me."

And with that, Carlos turned around and walked straight towards the McLaren hospitality.

The closer they got to Lando's room, the sweatier George's hands became. The younger clearly didn't want to talk to him, so why shouldn't he just kick him out or run away again, now?

Carlos stopped in front of the last door in the small hallway, gestured towards it and then patted his colleague's shoulder encouragingly, before disappearing into the room on the opposite side.

George took a deep breath before knocking, his hands shaking slightly.

"Come in.", he heard Lando say and it made his heart skip a beat. He hadn't heard this voice in so long, it seemed almost surreal.

Once George had closed the door behind himself, he was dreading to turn around. Why was he so nervous about this? This was Lando, one of his best friends, after all.

"Hi." he managed a slight smile, not quite sure what to do, so he just stood there by the door, awkwardly fiddling with the hem of his jacket.

"Oh, hey." Lando looked horrified. He clearly hadn't expected George to show up in his room and he had no idea how to react to it now.

"Lando, can we talk please?"

"I guess we already are talking, so yeah." Lando tried to joke but the smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

George slowly walked over to the small couch and sat down next to Lando, with as much distance as possible.

"Lando, I know you've been avoiding me and Alex because you found out about our relationship and you're jealous. It's okay you-", the older one started the conversation, but was quickly interrupted.

"Oh my god, how did you find out? I'm so sorry, I know it's weird, I don't want to ruin your relationship. That's why I avoided you, I didn't want you to find out. I'm so sorry, I swear, I didn't even know before Carlos made me realize when I saw you kiss, I felt this way because I'm jealous that I can't be with you. I'm so stupid, I wish I could just stop these feelings. But I can't, so I hoped they would go away by themselves when I don't see you anymore. But that just made me realize even more, how much I miss you. I-"

This time it was George's turn to interrupt Lando's rambling, a shocked expression on his face.

"Wait, wait, wait! You... you're jealous because you.... want to be with me?"