There were headphones dangling from his ears while he had a sketchbook pulled into his lap. His fingers were steadily working across the page, surely creating a piece of art.

I watched him read my text that I was here and felt even worse when his tail started wagging. He looked so happy that I was picking him up more than two hours past the time I was supposed to.

Is this how parents feel when they're late to pick up their kid? I can't imagine they'd be this late.

"Hi." He breathed out when he got in my car, genuinely just happy to see me. His sketchbook was closed now and I didn't bother to ask what he was drawing like I normally would.

"I'm so sorry." I immediately apologized. "My alarm didn't go off and then I didn't see your text until I woke up. I promised I set it." I stared at him almost helplessly. "Just- I'm really sorry."

"It's fine." He waved off like it was nothing. His ears twitched while he put his sketchbook away. "I got to draw and you got to sleep. Kyler said you've been working a lot more so it's good you slept."

"No." I reached over and started petting his hair. There was no reason to, I just felt bad and wanted to fix it somehow. "Let me feel bad- You waited for so long. Be mad at me."

His eyebrows pinched and his head titled. "Why would I be mad? I knew you'd come eventually. It doesn't matter when."

Fuck- I'm such a bad boyfriend.

"No." I whined in my own self pity. "Be angry, or upset- anything. It'll make me feel better."

"But I'm not." He insisted. "I'm just happy you came at all."

I absolutely hate myself. "You're too nice." I frowned and kept petting him. It was starting to get excessive but he leaned into my hand and hummed in content. "I would've been pissed off."

"I'm not." He assured but I wished he was. "You could make me wait hours and hours and I won't be upset~"

I knew he was trying to make me feel less guilty but he was just piling more guilt on. "You don't have work until later, right? Let me take you out somewhere."

His tail started thumping against the seat but to seem modest, "You don't have to do that."

"You're my boyfriend." I finally let my hand return to the steering wheel. I wondered if he missed my touch. "I'd want to take you out either way."

He chewed at his lip shyly and nodded. "Okay."

"Is there anywhere you wanna go?" I glanced at him as I pulled out of the parking lot.

"You're taking me out, so you have to pick."

My lips twitched up from his sudden assertive tone. "Okay." I easily agreed. "Are smoothies okay? That place we went to for our first date. We can bring Kyler one too."

If possible, he perked up even more. "He likes the spinach and berries one." Of course he does, I thought distastefully.

The drive was short to Smoothie King. When we got out of the car, I sent a text to Kyler that Chet and I were gonna stop by the gym. He didn't respond since he was working but I didn't think he'd mind. Who wouldn't want to see their boyfriends?

Not even thinking about it, I offered my hand out to Chet after sliding my phone in my pocket. He stared at it for a moment, steps faltering. "..It's okay?"

"Hm?" I didn't understand. "Yeah?" I grabbed his hand myself and continued walking. It was cold and reminded me of how long he was waiting outside. I'm surprised he could draw with his fingers being so stiff.