Phone Call Number 9

Luke sat on his bed with his head in his hands and sobbed. He hated his stupid brothers. He hated his stupid friends. He hated his stupid life.

All it had ever done since mum got ill was kick him in the ass. It wasn't even done with him yet, he was lying crumpled and bruised on the ground and it still continued to kick him.

He didn't want to call Lily because she thought he was okay. After yesterday's late night phone call she had sounded so much happier, and less stressed out than before. He knew he had burdened her with too much, and he didn't want to do that any more to his only remaining friend.

So he pulled out his phone and called the only person he could talk to in this situation: his mum.

It went to voicemail obviously and he heard her gentle voice. It was simple, as he knew. He had heard this voicemail so many times, after school when he would call her and ask where she was, he knew she wouldn't pick up the phone because she was driving and she was the only human being who respected the law of not being on the phone while driving.

As he listened to her voice, it brought tears instantly to his eyes. He thought he had slightly gotten over his mum's death, but boy was he wrong.

He had just been pushing his grief away since the first phone call with Lily, but now it all came rushing back to the surface. Just from hearing her voice.

Please leave a message after the tone

'Mum, I can't deal with this any longer. I thought I was okay. I thought it was all okay, but I was so wrong. You have no idea how hard this is for me, mum. I have so much shxt going on in my life right now, and it's caused me to slightly ignore the pain that you aren't here to help me through it.

Whenever something went wrong for me in the past, you were always at my side to help me and pull me through it, but now you aren't, it just emphasises your absence. I shouldn't have called, now I am going to have to go through all the bad stuff, plus also the huge fact that you aren't here any more.

I know, I know, it's been a long time since you died, but I haven't gotten over it yet. I don't think I am ever going to get over it.

Guess what mum, Ben and Jack are here. Yep, just to make my life that much more miserable. I can't believe they would dare to show up here and shove me around like this. They are the people who killed you mum, and they waltz in here acting like they own the place. They're hurting me, just like Mikey did, but this is much worse. Just seeing them causes me pain. I can't bear to look at the people who hurt you, the people who have taken you away from me.

Mum, they killed you.

They took you out that night before she got ill. It must have been their fault. They aren't even showing the slightest remorse.

They took you out when it was snowing, and you had the tiniest little cold, but you still complained about your snivelling nose and sore throat. Then they took you to the park, and the snow got worse, and at the end of it they dropped you back at my house and left.

They left me to deal with my dying mother and only showed their faces since then yesterday.

Yesterday.

They waited two years.

I mean, I bet they're going to walk in here any minute and demand to know why I'm sobbing into the voicemail of a person who's dead, who's never going to hear this message that I'm pouring my whole soul into.

I love you mum.

Why did you-'

Luke was cut off by the door bursting open revealing two furious brothers. They had been listening. They lunged straight for him, and his phone dropped to the floor, the voicemail message still recording.

"You little piece of shxt. Blaming us for mum's death?" Ben screamed, putting his hands around Luke's throat.

"How could you say that?! We are equally as broken because of this as you are!" Jack shouted, punching his younger brother's face over and over.

"What the fxck is going on here?!" Luke glanced behind his brother's and saw in the doorway a person who Luke had never expected to see again.

"Michael?"

// a/n the aim of this chapter was to make you very sad, did it work? Haha.

5K OH MY LORD I LOVE YOU GUYS THANK YOU SO MUCH. I HOPE A DOUBLE UPDATE TODAY IS ENOUGH FOR A CELEBRATION

Okay, so a tiny cliffhanger there. Please don't kill me //