Chapter Fourteen *Edited*

Start from the beginning

I know you didn't ask, but I'll tell you either way. I discovered that he continues calling me Ava because that's the name I've known since forever, but he slips whenever he's angry and addresses me with my birth name, Sophia.

"I won't be alone. I'll go with the Beta and dozens of Guards. They're loyal to you and will guard me with their lives. You may not trust me, but don't you trust them?"

"This is not about trusting you more or less than my guards. You went through hell in their hands, and I won't be at ease if I have you out of sight. The answer won't change no matter how much you keep asking me."

My mother remains silent, sitting beside my father behind the desk. Despite analyzing our conversation and watching everything unfold, she hasn't intervened. I know her stance in all of this, but it's worth a shot. If anyone can change my dad's mind, it would be her.

"Mum, won't you say anything? I'm asking something from you for the first time in my life. It will only be a couple of days."

After a ten-second pause, she responds. "Honey, as much as I love, you're wrong. You can't ask anything of that sort from us, not after losing you for eighteen years. If something were to happen, we wouldn't be able to live it."

"Are you planning to hide me away from the remaining of my life in hopes of not getting hurt? I don't want that, and you will achieve nothing. Allow me to go and close this chapter of my life." I plead.

Before my rejection, I had always dreamed of a prince on a white horse rescuing me from my miserable life. Ever since that dreadful night, I decided to be my savior. I don't want to be a damsel in distress but a knight in shining armor. I want to bring justice to Chase's doorstep and help those whose fate is similar to mine.

I wasn't planning on personally going there, but after he attacked me, something inside me changed. I'm enraged and out for blood. I want revenge like I haven't desired anything in life.

"Did something happen at the ball? Did he attack you?" Mum questions.

"Of course not! Why would you ask something like that?"

Is it possible the guards spilled the beans?

I didn't ask them to keep it a secret, but I didn't think they would bubble about it.

Wait. Would my parents be calm if they knew about the attack?

I don't think so.

"I know you won't admit and tell us what happened, and we won't pressure you."

My dad interrupts her, "No, I will! If something happened, I want to know and hunt down the fucker."

Mum slaps the back of his head. "Don't speak like that in front of the child." She scolds.

Aside from calling me a child when I'm not, the situation is funny. My mum scolded a grown adult as if he were a high schooler.

"As I was saying. We won't pressure you because we want you to open up when you feel comfortable enough. But you should know that the reason we're starting the investigation is not only for revenge. We wish to restore justice and save anyone that's going through what you did. If you made revenge your life's purpose, you will be making your life miserable and they would be achieving their goal. The real revenge occurs when you live a better and happpier life than them."

My shoulders drop, and I drop to the chair. "How can I do that without no mate? He'll always feel superior because he was the one who rejected me."

"Men are useless. Look at me: I've been married to that fool for over eighteen years and he still doesn't know how to change a light bulb!"

Dad snaps his head, faking being offended.

Mum's joking to break the ice, and we know that.

"All jokes aside. It's great having a partner but having no mate doesn't limit you from anything. You can still make a change in the world. If you want a child, you can adopt one. If you crave companionship, you can still fall in love like humans do and there's still a chance you'll have a second chance mate. There are records that it has happened before."

My ears perk up, "It has?"

She nods and passes me an open book. "I've marked the pages for you to read."

"Can I take it to my room? I want to take my time when studying it."

"Of course you can."

"Does that mean I'm not going?" I ask, hopeful for a different answer than before.

"No." They unanimously state.

I am disappointed I didn't get to proceed with my plan, but a part of me feels relief. The attack led me into a rage and highlighted my desire for revenge, but now I know I don't want to return to that pack. I don't wish to see people that caused me heartache. Above all, I don't want to lose the family I recently found.

There are plenty of other ways to play hero: ways that don't involve risking my safety.

"Oh, before you go." Mum stops me before I exit the home office. "My best friend and her family are visiting tomorrow to meet you because they couldn't make it in time for the ball."

"Is there something to note before I meet them?"

She shakes her head. "No, nothing. You have nothing to worry about. It's only the parents with their two children. I believe her son is a few years older than you."

I doubt he and I will get along. Boys and I don't get along.

"I can't wait." I master, even though my heart has dropped to my stomach.

" I master, even though my heart has dropped to my stomach

Edited: 03/03/2024

Words: 1413