Public and private

'Stay for a little longer, I'll make us something to eat.' I didn't even bother to argue just nodded like an obedient child. He got up and walked into the kitchen and I sat up rubbing my eyes. 'How were your classes today?'

'Good, I have a break coming up soon.' I said quietly as I took a seat on the bar stool. We talked about his work, nothing specific of course but about the people, he asked my opinion on a few things that were going on in the news and I gave them with the reassurance that this was only my opinion so don't hold everyone else to it obviously. We ate dinner with each other, talking about the schools he was considering sending Jake to.

'I want him to go to a private school but I just don't want him to be one of those snobby kids.'

'I understand, but there's nothing wrong with sending him to public school as well.'

'I know, but I went to public school, my parents couldn't afford the schools that I wanted to go to and I'm not saying that's bad, but I just felt like private schools might be safer.'

'Well, I guess one good thing about sending him to a private school is you'll get more of a say in his schooling and education, I mean why pay all that money if he's just going to end up like a public school graduate.'

'We sound kind of snobbish.' He smiled and I smiled back.

'That's true, but I mean we didn't turn out so bad and we both went to public school, mostly because even though our parents want to send us to private colleges they just couldn't afford it.'

'Yeah. We didn't end up so bad. And I still have another year and a half before I have to worry about kindergarten.'

'Maybe leave it a year before you start looking, just enjoy the time while he's so little.' He smiled down at his plate.

'You know he loves you more than me?'

'No he doesn't.' I laughed.

'He does. I can't do half the stuff you do with him.' I grinned.

'That doesn't mean he loves me more, you're his dad, I'm just the nanny.'

'You're more than just the nanny, your more like his mum with all your secret tricks on how to calm him and what makes him feel better, what he likes.'

'It's impossible for me to have a baby.' I whispered and we fell into an unpleasant silence.

'Why would it be impossible?'

'Well, I'm gay, and no matter how many motherly instincts I can project, I can never give birth to a baby, and I'm strictly dickly, I can't cross the woman line, they're just scary.' I shivered as he sputtered and coughed on his mouthful before laughing.

'I've never heard that term before, strictly dickly, bloody hell.' He chuckled. 'Why do you say women are scary?'

'No, women are lovely, their vagina's are scary.' He again choked and began laughing. 'They are, and they're ugly, I'm not saying penis' are better looking but they're not as ugly as a vagina.' He just continued to laugh.

'Well, I do agree with you there, vagina's are not the most pleasant thing to look at.' I looked at him, inspecting his face as he looked down at his plate.

'That's why I will never understand straight men. Like ew, why?' He smiled as he took my plate and put them both in the sink.

'I don't know, I always thought it was a chemically driven kind of thing, to reproduce but after what Carry did, I just can't bring myself to even think about women anymore. I'd rather just spend my time with Jake.'