Torn

'Hey, how are you?' He asked when I answered.

'I'm okay, how are you?'

'Tired, very tired.' He sighed, Jason was older than me, twenty five and he was the partner in a very good accounting firm.

'I'm sorry to hear that and I'm so sorry I had to cancel lunch, I was so looking forward to it after my exam.'

'It's alright babe, how do you think your exam went?'

'I think Kyoko sensei was impressed. I used that business expression you taught me, the serious one. He said it surprised him how serious I was.' This made him laugh and I smiled, I liked his laugh, it was loud but it was solid and rich and nice.

'Well I'm glad that I can help you.' He laughed. 'Are you still at work?' Here we go, Jason gets a little weird about my job, we've been dating for almost a month, not that we've been intimate and it's been difficult to arrange dates due to me working so often with Jake and him being busy with work himself, but he gets annoyed that Mr. Harmon always works late and calls me in and I drop everything to go.

'Yeah, Jake's sick, that's why I had to cancel lunch, because he couldn't go to the other sitters when he's sick.' There was silence on the other end of the phone for a long moment.

'Alright, it's late though, do you want me to come and pick you up when you get off?'

'No, I'll be okay, I usually just take a cab home when it gets late.'

'Noah.'

'I'm fine Jason. I promise, maybe we can have lunch tomorrow?'

'I can't tomorrow.' He said as I stood from the couch and started tidying, when I got nervous I tidy. 'I have a business lunch with some big clients that I cannot mess up.'

'That's okay, let me know when you're free and we can try organise a date.'

'Yeah-'

'I have to go, Mr. Harmon is coming in, I'll talk to you later.'

'Text me when you get home!' He yelled before I hung up the phone.

'Hey, sorry I'm late. I really thought I was going to get out early today.' He said hitting the walker on the wall as he came in the door. It made a loud bang and I flinched hoping that Jake wouldn't wake up. There was no noises from his crib in his room and I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding.

'Sorry.' He said putting it in front of the tv unit and putting his brief case down on the kitchen island bench and pulling at his tie, so handsome... 'How did he go? Did he get any better through the day?'

'Yeah, he was fine, his fever went down and he went to sleep fine, even ate all of his dinner and all of his bottle.'

'You're a life saver I swear, I don't even know how you are so good with him.' I shrugged and started packing my things away into my bag. 'I'm sorry as well, calling you so early in the morning like that. I just didn't know what to do.'

'It's fine, you're always welcome to call my mobile if you're in trouble.'

'Thanks, but don't we impact your life? What about girlfriends and friends and going out and partying.' He said leaning his back against the counter.

'Well, for starters I'm gay, so I don't have to worry about a girlfriend. Second of all my friends work just as much as me, we socialize in our classes because that's part of the course is talking to each other, and I've never been one for parties. The guy I'm dating is currently not a big fan of yours however.' I laughed and he looked utterly surprised.

'He doesn't like me? Why's that?'

'Well... how did he put it? He thinks you expect too much of me, always calling me and expecting me to drop everything because you say so. I told him to stop being such an idiot and that I'm there to look after Jake.'

'Well, I'm sorry I've offended your boyfriend. I haven't even met the man, and I don't expect you to drop everything.' He was starting to get defensive now... 'You know you can say no to something if I ask it of you right? You could have said no today, I would have just kept Jake with me.'

'A police precinct is no where for a baby to be.' I said pulling bag over my shoulder. 'Don't worry about it, I promised you over a year ago that I would be here to help with Jake. I'm not going to back out on a promise.' There was silence for a moment before I gave a small smile and nodded, heading for the door.

'Noah.' He said and I turned, stopping when I came face to chest with him.

'Y-yes Mr. Harmon.'

'You can call me Theo, or Harm, you don't have to call me Mr. Harmon. We've known each other well over a year, I thought you would just realize that.' I looked up at him a little embarrassed.

'Sorry.'

'Are you alright to go home on your own? You can stay in the spare room?'

'I'm fine thanks. I'll just call a cab.' Again the silence.

'I'm sorry that we ruined your date today. I, I ruined your date.'

'It's alright, we've kind of only loosely been seeing each other due to our schedules.' I shrugged turning my face away.

'How did you meet this guy?'

'Ah, he's an accountant, I ran into him at a convenience store by accident once, the one near campus. We've kept in touch and just slowly started to see each other.'

'Have you had sex with him?' My head snapped up and I looked at him surprised.

'I'm sorry?'

'I'm asking if he's forced you to do anything you don't want to do?'

'N-no, he's been pretty understanding about me not wanting to yet.' What a weird way to ask that question...

'If he does anything to you, anything you don't like or want you let me know, men get raped by other men and women all the time and don't report it because of embarrassment or they don't think it counts.'

'I don't think he will, he's usually pretty quiet but if he does I'll let you know.' I laughed opening the door and stepping out. 'I'll see you tomorrow.' I smiled before heading home. I skipped around the corner and straight into a large man. 'Ohf...' was the noise that came out of me as I stumbled a few steps back and the man turned. 'Sorry! Are you alright?'

'Hey, I know you.' The man said his words a little slurred and I looked up to see it was the police officer from this morning. 'You're that pretty little thing that looks after the lieu's baby.' I took a big step back and he followed with a small stumble.

'Yes, I'm Lieutenant Harmon's nanny.'

'He never mentioned you were a boy before. Just says my nanny. We all thought it was a girl.'

'Sorry to disappoint.' I muttered trying to move around him but he kept moving in my way. 'Can you please move I would like to go home.'

'I'll escort you!' He yelled and I flinched back, I wasn't a big fan of sudden loud noises.

'No thankyou.' He didn't like this answer and stepped closer, I simply turned and ran back to Mr. Harmon's apartment and ran up the stairs to the door, knocking loudly.