The baby

I grinned down at Jake, the baby babbling incoherently as I held his hands, his little legs kicking around, trying to take steps towards me.

'Sodesuka~' I grinned as he grinned back and continued to babble. I picked him up and swung him in my arms as I walked towards the kitchen to get his bottle. 'Dare ga yoi otokonokodesu ka?' I cooed and Jake clapped his hands. I picked his bottle up and tested it making sure it wasn't too hot. 'There you go baby.' I twisted him so he was laying so that I could hold his bottle for him. Once he was done, I pat his back to burp him and then laid him down in his crib. Jake was down in five minutes, he was such a good baby, slept through the night and all. Jake isn't my baby, seeing as I'm a boy, I'm just his nanny. I know, a boy as a nanny, weird, but I'm a university student and I need the extra money. Plus his dad works really hard and I like helping him out.

I sat on the couch, my glasses on so I could read my textbook, I didn't wear them often because I don't like people seeing me in them but when my eyes get tired I kind of have to. I heard the keys turning the lock in the door and looked up to see Mr. Harmon walking in the door. He always wore a neatly pressed suit to work, sometimes a tie, most of the time a tie, and black dress shoes.

'Hey.' I smiled closing my book and standing up.

'Hey Noah, how'd he go? Sorry I'm so late, work was hectic as usual.' I smiled and shrugged as I looked down at Jake who was sprawled out on his tummy.

'He's great, no troubles.' He looked down at his son and ran his hand over his hair gently before pulling away and heading to the kitchen bench.

'Alright, I'm sorry that it's so late, are you alright to get home?' He put his briefcase up and started pulling at his tie, I had to take a quiet deep breath, he was always so stoic and handsome when he did that.

'Yeah, I'm okay. I'll just call a cab.'

'You're welcome to stay, the spare room is there.' He said turning to me and I smiled.

'That's fine Mr. Harmon, I've got an exam in the morning and I'd rather go home so I can do my little ritual and make sure everything goes well.' He smiled and sighed out as I picked up my bag and started heading for the door.

'Alright, be safe on your way home.' He said as he held the door open for me. I nodded and left. Mr. Harmon was a lieutenant at a police station, he was in charge of a whole department and that meant that he was home late a lot because of case work. His wife left him last year, six months after Jake was born, she filed divorce papers and left, called me in the middle of a class told me that I had to come and look after Jake right then and there, of course I dropped everything because that baby is amazing and I was already acing all my classes. She didn't say where she was going but she had all her bags in the doorway and the papers were on the bench. She handed me four hundred dollars cash, apologised and left. I called Mr. Harmon straight away and he came home, he looked at the papers, tore into the bedroom, there was yelling and screaming, he woke Jake up and I had to try and settle the baby while he flipped out.

'What am I supposed to do!? How am I supposed to do this alone?' He yelled at the ceiling, their apartment was really nice but only on the third floor.

'I can help you.' I said quietly, Jake was sucking his thumb, head rested on my shoulder when Mr. Harmon looked over at me, he was dishevelled and he looked like he was either going to be sick or punch a hole in the wall.

'What?'

'I'll help. I only have classes a few times a week, I can stay with him before and after and until you get home. I can help you, my mum was a single parent I know it can be hard but I'll help.'