Chapter 4 Working is Hard!

Start from the beginning

HP: 5

Mana: 2 (+1)!

Agility: 1

Strength: 1

Defense: 1

Karma: 10

Skills: none

Traits: [Minor Earth Spirit]

She saw that the mana stat had gone up and that it now had a name. She guessed the mana stat was from eating the ash yesterday, and that the name came from her naming it.

"Hey Kotori is time to get back to work" her father called out to her

Raising her head and quickly standing up, she grabbed the shovel laying near her and ran back to begin the exhausting work of digging a new paddy.

Interestingly, Observing for a while the mouse started helping her. Although the spirit was small, it seemed able to move dirt at about the same speed as Kotori.

The mouse didn't need to touch the dirt it seems to be able to will it to move. This greatly increases her pace and together with the mouse Kotori soon found herself digging at a very similar rate to her father.

When the day's work was done she saw that the pit they had dug together was larger than what her father had made.

Holding the mouse in her hand she petted it

[Good job!] she told it

The mouse rolled over and exposed its dirt belly, which she took as an invitation to pet. When she pet the stomach of the dirt mouse felt more like rubbing a pile of soil than petting a mouse. In return for the pets, the mouse began to project feelings of contentment.

[At least this thing likes me]

Her father interrupted this moment

"Hey Kotori, Good work today,"

He looked surprised at the work she was able to do.

As soon as she heard those words she felt her karma value go up slightly

She quickly whispered "status" to see it

Sato Kotori

Race: [Human] Age: 5

HP: 10

Mana: 5

Agility: 6

Strength: 4 (+1)!

Defense: 2

Karma: -99,999,999 (+2)!

Skills: none

Traits: [Spirit Seer]

Apparently, her karma has finally gone up a little bit. Although Kotori was unsure whether or not the "+2" was a result of having both her and the mouse work together or if the value of the action she did was worth 2 karma.

Kotori was happy that she was the only person who was able to see this interface. It would be rather hard to explain to her father what it was if he could see it.

[I really have to test this more] She thought to herself as she walked back to the house with her father.

Their brother and mother were already done with their work in their side of the field and were already settled down in the house by the time they got home. Her brother was overjoyed at the fact that she had managed to "catch" an earth spirit and constantly asked her if he could play with it.

When she asked the mouse it outright refused and thus she also told her brother that it wasn't possible and that the mouse was her pet only.

Ryuji of course threw a tantrum and once again her brother had to be comforted by her mother.

She took the opportunity to see both of their stats in this time period

Sato Ryuji

Race: [Human] Age: 3

HP: 10

Mana: 0

Agility: 6

Strength: 3

Defense: 2

Karma: 114

Skills: none

Traits: none

--

Sato Hana

Race: [Human] Age: 25

HP: 28

Mana: 0

Agility: 11

Strength: 14

Defense: 10

Karma: 1,344

Skills: none

Traits: none

Evidently, it seemed both her mother and brother had no talent for magic as they both had a mana stat of 0.

That night, they once again had the same thin rice gruel and listened to her father play beautiful songs on his reed flute.

Kotori was beginning to feel a little impatient. She only had this life to work with and she still had a massive debt to overcome. Although it was only her second day of being reincarnated she was once again struck with the feeling of impossibility regarding her task of overcoming her nearly negative 100 million karma deficit.

With a heavy heart, Kotori began her life as an average farmer girl