CHAPTER 17

Cc: Practice.

VALYRA.

I usually wonder what's going on in my brother's mind, and I usually figure it out quickly, but today? What made him come back and what made him seem so hurried earlier that he got triggered this morning?

He said just about two weeks ago that he was coming here to visit me, and then, a few days ago, he told us he was probably going to stay in his apartment for the rest of the break and now he's back? He feels so all over the place lately, I'm thinking he's busy doing something he's not telling me about. Even Dad's starting to suspect that something's up with him.

"Good morning," I greeted the seven girls as I walked towards them.  As usual, I was right on time.

"Good morning."

"Hey!"

"Hello!"

The girls seemed to be friendlier towards each other compared to yesterday and I couldn't help but grin. I like this atmosphere.

"Kathilla, may I talk to you in private?" I asked, putting my bag next to the bags of my fellow Wilson cheerleaders. 

She nodded and got up.

I led her to the other side of court and faced her. "I want to know just how much influence you have over the other girls."

"Why are you asking me this?" she asked a little tiredly. "You should ask them."

I shook my head. "I'm asking you because I want to understand what's going on and since you seem to be the one with the biggest influence, I'd like to hear what you have to say."

"I'm not a leader. I was just in the team for the longest."

I observed her-- head always held high, only drooping to show disinterest or tiredness, always dressed neatly, hair impeccable... basically perfect. Is that really how she sees it? Or is she just hiding her opinion?

"Is that so? I'll hold you to that, then. Come on."

We discussed our positions and possible team names for us, and I noticed that the Calvary girls seemed to have run through their ideas and are proposing as representatives of their school. 

Should we have done that, too?

Nah, to be honest, I've thought of it, too, but it would cancel out ideas and it wouldn't be fair. I should tell them that I'd like all possible ingredients laid out on the counter. 

We ended up with Capella, proposed by me. I mentioned that I read somewhere on the internet that it was the brightest star in the constellation Auriga and that Auriga was a cool team name for the boys because it's a constellation of a charioteer. Charioteers were said to be of high repute and were respected and admired sportsmen back in ancient Rome.

We also agreed to submit a proposal and report to be accomplished on a shared document online, which will be sent to the coaches tomorrow for perusal. The report would contain our own opinions of our cheerleading capabilities to determine who would be a what in the team-- as instructed by Coach Alyse.

Since it was still pretty early when we ended, I just watched the boys from the bleachers, but the others left already.

"Valyra!" Maze called out. "Wanna join us?"

I laughed. "Won't I just be a bother?"

Kol jogged over and passed me the ball. "Come on!"

With that and the encouraging looks of the other boys, I jogged up to the court and dribbled in front of Maze who tried to block me. I did a half-reverse and shot quickly before getting tackled.

"Calvary versus Wilson!" Kol hollered, laughing.

The others laughed along and agreed. "Game! Come on!"

We played a few rounds and they told me that I was good enough to be in the JV team, and maybe even with the main players if I had practiced enough to improve more. At the last round, I was invited to join them in an after-practice hangout at Oliver's place.

"We're planning to play some games and have some snacks," Oliver began, grinning as he made a cross-over, and then tried to figure out a way to be unblocked. 

I saw his eyes flit over my shoulder for awhile and return back to me and to the other, so I watched him carefully and when he jumped, I immediately knew where he was headed. He jumped and my arms shot up to intercept, slapping the ball  hard enough the other way for Walter to receive it, he quickly turned around and speed dribbled to the opposite side. He passed the ball to Kol who was open by the three-point line and Kol shot without hesitation.

"Yes! Beat that!" Walter screeched, body-slamming with Kol out of excitement.

"Wow," Oliver muttered behind me  in disbelief. 

I swiveled around and gave him a cheeky  grin that he returned. "Hey, loser! What were you saying earlier?"

He chuckled. "Gaming and snacking. You up for it?"

A shoulder suddenly dropped around my neck and had me in a choke hold. "Dude, why aren't you in the Wilson girls' basketball team?" Maze smiled down at me with a curious look in his eyes.

"I wanted to  be a cheerleader," was my simple reply.

We all packed up and left after drying up and walked to Oliver's house. While we were walking, the boys cracked jokes and told stories to lighten the mood, and as we neared his supposed street, I realized it seemed really familiar. "I-- Oliver..."

He didn't seem to hear, so I just kept my mouth shut instead, but this road we were on, seemed like the same road we go through to get to Claire's house. The houses were modest and homey and nice. It was the kind of neighborhood that looked like the ideal happy place for a childhood to be enjoyed in, where barbeques would be done between neighbors during summer, and where everyone would just greet each other and visit each other's houses on a whim.

"Oliver," I whispered again.

He looked at me expectantly, and just in time we stopped by his house... which was next to...

"Do you know Claire?"

"What?"

"Do you know Claire? Claire Dennings?" I asked a little louder.

If he did, what if she was the friend he had who transferred to WIlson? What if she was the person Kathilla felt she'd lost to us? And considering how we hadn't met on an ideal basis before, what if she wasn't just mad at the school but mad at our friend group?

Oliver grinned. "Oh, yeah! I didn't tell you, but in case you didn't know, we've been next-door neighbors for years, that's why I also kind of recognize you already."

Oh, I see.