Chapter Twelve *Edited*

Start from the beginning

I'm gasping to get a change of scenery.

I've only been in this room twice, but it feels suffocating from the distress I've experienced.

I feel like a kid in a candy shop as I navigate the many hallways and get lost in them.

How much I wish I could find a library!

This place could have the most enormous, most inclusive library ever. You know, the one with sky-high selves of lined books, a cozy couch with a blanket, and a view of the snowy mountain. Something straight out of Pinterest. It's been a dream of mine to have a house with a library like that.

Eventually, I found it after many failed attempts to open different doors. It lives up to my expectations one hundred percent. It's French style with white sky-high selves with golden details and a white staircase to reach the highest selves.

 It's French style with white sky-high selves with golden details and a white staircase to reach the highest selves

I scan every row with interest but stop at the one with the Werewolf History.

Typically, I'm more into Romance, but a desire to learn more about my wolf has arisen, and this library will undoubtedly satisfy part of it.

I find the aisle I want and move the ladder closer, standing on it to choose a book about white wolves. I find one, and I flip through it.

If I read about my wolf, I assumed I'd understand why I'm different and utilize it to grow stronger, but I feel more confused.

According to this book, white wolves are also known as elemental wolves and are descendants of the Moon Goddess. Signs that a wolf is elemental appear since birth, but they can emerge later in life.

White wolves are also addressed as elemental wolves because they can control elements such as fire, earth, water, and air. Most commonly, each wolf can control only one, but there are instances where a wolf controls more elements.

I can't control any element book despite me being a white wolf. I can't start a fire from scratch like fire wolves or create a tornado-like air wolves. I've never magically planted trees or been able to breathe underwater. So, what am I?

Am I not a white wolf? Am I not special like everyone believes so?

"I thought I'd find you here."

The King shuts the door and sits on the couch beside me, spotting the book on my lap.

"How did you know I'd be here?"

"Your mother." He pauses, and a smile lights up his face. "Every day since we've been together, she has spent it behind a book. Even when we lost you, she found solace in the library. I figured since you have her temper, you'll most likely have inherited that as well."

I may not know a lot about my biological parents, but I beam with pride when I discover that we share similarities, like books.

"Did you find anything?"

I shake my head. "I wish I did, but I only have more questions than before. From what I heard, some of our ancestors were white wolves. Could everyone control an element?"

He contemplates before he nods, listing everyone and their elements.

"Can't you control an element?"

I can't help but lower my head in shame.

Everyone assumed that I was a white wolf, but there was nothing special about me. I'm a scam through and through.

My father noticed my shame and immediately spoke up. "You should never be ashamed of yourself or lower your head for anyone. You should be proud of who you are and own that. Your mother and I never wished for a white wolf. We prayed for our child to be healthy and happy. That's all that matters to us. I know you had a hard time growing up away from us. It hurts me that I was unable to protect my princess from the monsters of this world, but I'm here now, and I'll fend off all the danger and put everyone back in their places. Those who dared to hurt you will wish they had never come across you."

What?! How does he know about the bullying? Did Zoe and Alpha Xavier say anything when I wasn't present?

As if he's reading my mind, the King confirms my suspicions. "Alpha Xavier spilled the beans under my strict orders. I had my suspicions, and he confirmed them. I would find out either way when I learned about your upbringing."

Under different circumstances, I would feel betrayed if someone spoke about things I confided in them, but I feel ungrateful if I act like that. The whole pack treated me respectfully since I stepped into Alpha Xavier's pack. I wouldn't be here with my newfound family if it weren't for him.

"I know it's not ideal, but I want to host a ball and introduce you to the world."

The second bombshell dropped, disaster activated!

"Can't we postpone it? I- I don't feel ready." I trail off.

"I would, but word got out that the princess has returned, and there's pressure to meet you."

Call me suspicious, but there's a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"This Ball- who will be there?"

"Family and the higher-ups of other packs."

The Blue Moon pack! Chase and Liam will be there, and they'll recognize me.

"You shouldn't worry. You'll have an army behind you and your parents beside you. And when they arrive, you'll be the last thing on their mind. I promise you that."

Something makes me think he's got a trick up his sleeve, and I can't wait to see what it is. I'm feeling a bit giddy about the ball because I've got a hunch that it will be epic.

Shall we get ready for the ride of our lives?

Edited: 19/02/2024

Words: 1986