Chapter Twelve *Edited*

Start from the beginning

"I fear it's not appropriate. We have yet to verify that I'm your biological daughter. If word got out that I was the princess but the results indicated otherwise, I'm afraid people would be displeased." I'm surprised how smooth that sounded. Then again, growing up, I had to make excuses to survive.

"Ava is right, honey. I have arranged for the DNA test to take place after breakfast. Once the results come back positive, Ava can address us however she likes." The King backs me up.

I stay put in my seat, waiting for Zoey and her mate to come down to eat together, but the Royal couple starts eating, motioning for me to dig in as well.

"Alpha Xavier and his mate aren't coming?"

"An emergency came up in the pack, and they had to return early. It's not something alarming, but it requires immediate attention. We offered a car to bring you back when you want to."

The rest of the breakfast passed in silence. I had many questions to ask, but I felt uneasy. Besides, I don't want to get attached only for things to go sideways.

"Ava, you should follow the Queen and head to the doctor's office. He's expecting you for the DNA test." The King exclaims after we have finished breakfast and the mates are cleaning the table.

I nod and bid the King goodbye.

"Is there anything to note before entering the doctor's office? Do you get scared of needles or afraid of blood?" The Queen asks me on the way to the doctor's office.

"I don't know about needles, but I'm not terrified of blood."

It's been way too long since I went through medical exams, and I can't remember if I got scared of needles. I'll assume that I'm not since I don't remember any traumatic experience with needles.

She opens the door, and I enter the office with my heart on my sleeve.

*************************************************************

I take the glass of juice the King hands me, feeling grateful. This situation seems familiar. Just yesterday, I was sitting across from the Royal couple. But today, things are different. The Queen is sitting next to me, and I'm holding my right arm, which is hurting a bit after giving blood for my DNA test.

"The doctor sent me an email with the results," the King says.

"This quickly?" I ask, surprised. I thought it would take a few days.

"Everything is quicker when you have the latest technology. Now, let's check the results."

My heart rate spikes and I feel like I might be the only one having a heart attack, but the King and Queen seem unfazed. I don't know what I want the results to show, but one thing is for sure. The King and Queen are good parents, and their children are lucky to have them.

They've treated me with the utmost respect and patience. When I had a mini-breakdown in the doctor's office, the doctor didn't scold me. Instead, she tried to calm me down and distract me while drawing my blood.

"As we expected. One hundred percent positive. You're our daughter," the King states.

The Queen starts crying, and the King rushes to her side.

"I can't believe we found her. We found our little Sophia!" she exclaims between sniffles.

I don't feel anything right now. I'm only worried about the Queen. Her calm and collected behavior has vanished, and she's having a meltdown. At this rate, she'll pass out.

"I'll put her to bed. We'll talk after, alright?"

I nod. "Do you need any help?"

"Don't worry. You can look around if you want. I'll find you once everything is settled with your mother."