Part 1. Prologue: With the snap of a finger

Sometimes I wondered if my aunt was mentally unstable. She'd say the crazies shit sometimes and I never took her seriously. No one did. They were kind of like guidelines on how not to die as a teenager.

"Don't sing songs about death! You're gonna die! And don't drive recklessly either! You're gonna die!"

Yes that's exactly how my aunt phrased it. I wondered to myself that night, if it also applied to a bunch of lyrics we sang over a kids theme song blasting in the car while speeding through the neighborhood with our middle fingers up at our old grumpy neighbors.

"WE'RE GOING ON A TRIP IN OUR FAVOURITE PIECE OF SHIT! GOING 95! WE'RE GONNA FUCKING DIE!"

No, my friends and I did not die in a car crash. Surprisingly enough.

"Don't do drugs! Drugs are bad for you! You're gonna die! And don't drink too much either! You're gonna die!"

We took a fuckload that night. On the way to the party and at the party. Xanax, cocaine, meth, weed, LSD, you name it. We also drank a shitload of alcohol. The seniors called it a suicide mission.

We didn't die of a mass overdose either.

"Don't party like there's no tomorrow! You're gonna die! And stay away from gunpowder! You're gonna die!"

Crack. Boom. The smell of gunpowder polluted the air. Cheers. The fireworks illuminated the sky.

Crack. Boom. The taste of iron made home on my tongue. Screams. Everything went dark.

I didn't think she was crazy anymore. I thought she was fucking psychic.