Chapter 1

A 16-year-old Haya was glancing from the terrace of her room to see him the last time before he leaves for London. Hers and only hers: Azlan. Or maybe she was naïve enough to assume he was solely hers. The Yousafzai's were moving to London because Ali Yousafzai moved his business there. They came to visit Faris Khan for the last time, and they would not visit Pakistan for several years as they wanted their children, Azlan and Sana, to settle in London.

Haya had secretly and silently loved Azlan. She could never reveal her feelings to him or anyone else as it was indecent for a 16-year-old to express her feelings openly. Haya never even directly spoke to Azlan and always adored his confidence, looks, and wit from afar. She always used to be nervous around his family, even around his sister Sana, who was the same age as Haya. Everyone thought being silent was her personality trait, but no one noticed the actual reason behind her timidity.

Haya was distraught seeing Azlan leave Pakistan as she would not see him for a few years. She just had to move on, no matter how painful it was.

10 years later

Haya looked at her image in the mirror. Kohl-lined hazel eyes with dark eyelashes, the glimmers of the sun highlighting the green flecks in her eyes. Pink plump lips adding intensity to her vibrant face and rosy cheeks adding a tint to her unblemished skin. Satisfied with her look, she adjusted the dupatta on her head. After slipping into her black and golden pumps, Haya headed down.
"Haya, please eat the toast before leaving," Haya's mother said once Haya was in her sight.

"Amma, I'm already late," Haya replied and grabbed her keys from the key holder.

"Khuda hafiz, fi aman Allah, "

To not arrive late, Haya drove the car abruptly. She knew her professor would murder her if she got late. Glancing at her wristwatch, she cursed under her breath as she was already five minutes late.

'I'm so gone, SHIT'

"Haya, you're late..."

"I'm sorry sir," Haya lowered her head in embarrassment.

"What excuse do you have, Haya?"

"I'll be honest sir, I couldn't  wake up early"

"You're forgiven this time, but be careful next time!" Haya's professor almost yelled 

After attending the lecture, Haya and her best friend Maida ran straight to the canteen.

"Haya, yaar, let's grab some coffee today?" Maida asked,

"Hm, let's leave straight from here" Haya replied, munching on her french fries

After catching up with Maida over an espresso, Haya headed back to her residence. When the guard opened the doorway, she noticed a black sedan, which wasn't theirs, in the entrance. 'it must be abba's guests' she assumed. Her driver was in the driveway waiting for Haya to take off so he can then line up her car in the parking lot.

"Akram lala, kon aaya hai?" Haya asked (translation: "Akram brother, who has arrived?")

"Apke koi rishtedaar hain shayad," ("your relatives I presume")

Puzzled by the limited fragment of information, she rushed inside to see who could've arrived without informing. ' hmm, mama would've mentioned it to me if our relatives were coming, ' She immediately went to the drawing-room to see who the relatives are. She twisted the vintage bronze knob of the door and stepped in. The visitors had their back to her, so she greeted loudly. The women turned around to see the source of the voice. When their eyes met, few visions of Haya's childhood flashed in front of Haya's eyes.     
It was Azlan's mother.
What is she doing here? When did she return from London?

A/N: how is the first chapter folks????
I hope y'all love it. I know the chapter is short but the cliffhanger was important :')
Also, I must add this is a short story so it'll probably be wrapped up whitin 20 chapters, hopefully.