Chapter Nineteen

Mia had not moved her eyes from Xavier's face as he read. He looked absolutely breathtaking in the amber glow of the lights in the Library completely spent in every word written in the book. It was amazing how he never paused to translate the words even in his mind. Mia had noticed that before but in their solitude today she was sure of what she had observed. "You read it like you've known this stories since your childhood" She said.

"I have Mia" He mumbled. "I've grown up listening to them"

"This is not something I'd have liked to hear as a child"

Xavier chuckled briefly before lifting his eyes up from to the book to Mia's face. "What did you liked to hear? Princes and Knights?"

"I liked the Knights. Specially how they fought. That was when I found out I liked archery"

"With the concentration you read your books with, I can say that you are good at it"

Mia's mind went back to what Xander had told her yesterday about how she lacked concentration inspite of being an archer. He makes her hate him with every word he speaks. "Thank you" Mia muttered, taking her mind off of the dreadful thoughts.

"What were you thinking about?" Xavier asked propping his elbow on the head rest of the chair and turning to Mia completely.

"What?" Mia asked confused.

"Right now. You were thinking about something weren't you? You went blank for a few seconds."

Mia sighed. "Oh that"

"Yes that, is someone troubling you?"

"No, not at all. I just had a flashback-" She paused trying not to look at Xavier's skeptic face. "To my archery practices" She added.

"Is that a lie I'm catching on?" Xavier drawled out, leaning closer. His face an inch away from the hairs that covered her neck.

"Do you plan on seducing it out of me?" Mia laughed.

A lazy grin painted itself across Xavier's lips, he straightened himself so that he could face Mia. "Seduce? Nope, but-" He paused. "Tickle? Heck yes" and with that his hands were on her sides.

"Oh my God! Xavier stop." Mia said, breathless in between words. Her laughter echoed through the thousands of books the library held and her happiness making the place brighter. 

A second or two later Mia hand grabbed on to Xavier's hands and made him stop. As she stabilised her breath, resting her head on Xavier's shoulder she tried to remember the last time she had laughed so hard. Definitely not in a long time and absolutely not after Xander got here. She felt a cool hand brush the hair away from her cheeks and turn her face up so that the side of her head rested against his shoulder.

It was in the next moment that Mia's eyes closed and Xavier's lips descended on hers softly. Her heart thudded so hard against her chest that she was scared that there would be bruise next time she looked but she could care less at the moment.

She lifted her hands up to cup his jaw and slide it further up in his hairs as they deepened the kiss. Xavier was exceptionally soft with her, his lips caressed her like soft breeze flows through the hairs in sunny evenings. Relieving and comforting.

Mia knew her first Kiss could not have been more perfect as Xavier pulled away. She let her hand drop on to her lap but she lacked the courage to look up at him. However he placed his index finger below her chin and raised her face.

"I wanted to do that ever since we first met" He whispered.

Mia sucked in a deep breath before asking, "Did it match your expectations?"

"It surpassed far beyond" He bent down to peck her lips once again before letting her go.

Mia reached home before it had gotten dark. She was glad she didn't face anyone on her way back. She probably had a permanent blush on her face, and as much as it sucked that she couldn't share it with anyone she was kind of glad too. She wanted to keep the memory just to herself. It had felt so special.

A knock on her door drew her out of the memories. She got up from the bed and unlocked the door to let Nick in.

"When did you return?" Mia asked as Nick plopped down on her bed.

"Just now. I heard the Library was closed today." He said coming straight to the point.

Mia had thought of an excuse while she returned home. She knew she'd have to answer this question in particular. "The owner is going out of town and I had some books to return." She said casually.

"Oh" Nick mumbled. "I went to meet Leah, she was asking about you"

"Why don't you bring her here tomorrow?" Mia settled on the bed and picked up the copy she was doing her homework in. "It feels like I haven't seen her in years"

Nick rolled his eyes. "It hasn't even been a week"

"Spit out what else you want to ask"

"Well I wanted to ask you this since a long time..." He said looking at Mia and assessing her expression.

"Go on" She urged.

"I... I've noticed that there's always a tension between you and Xander. Did something happen between you both? Something that I don't know about."

"What?" Mia snapped, scowling at Nick. "What can possibly happen between two people who hadn't even exchanged more than ten sentences!"

"Alright, alright. I was just asking you know" He sighed. "At first I was worried that you might be attracted to him. Most girls are you know. Like Catherine is."

"Nick what part of me liking someone bothers you?" She finally asked, unable to understand what he was trying to say.

"I just want the best for you. I don't want anyone to hurt you. I just can't stand the thought of you crying over some guy who broke your heart. I'd probably end up killing him. I've seen you suffer, be it fighting against your parents absence or their death or trying to live alone. Some were out of my control but this is, I want you to be careful about who you let in your life"

"You're such a softy Nick" Mia mumbled before moving closer to her best friend and hugging him.

"I am not a softy!" Nick protested, hugging her back nevertheless.

Growing up, she was the stronger one maybe because at an young age she learnt to hide her emotions but ever since her parents died, Nick had pretty much acted like a shield that protected her from everything outside. Her parents death had left her fragile, even though she kept saying to herself that she had prepared herself for anything that can happen. She knew it would make her fragile again if she lost someone she thought was a part of her life.

The shrill ring from Mia's phone broke the silence that had settled over. Mia reached forward to pick up her phone and see Xavier's name flash on the screen. She quickly rejected the phone and texted Xavier that she'd call him later.

"Is everything okay?" Nick asked possibly sensing Mia's sudden alertness.

"Yes. It was just a shop we shopped at in the mall calling to inform about the new discounts"  Mia managed to lie.

Nick nodded, looking convinced. "Oh. Should I tell mom to send your dinner in the room?"

"Yes please" Mia smiled. "Good night" She added.

Nick closed the door behind as he left. However Mia didn't call Xavier back until she was done with her dinner. She had expected Xavier's reply to the message she sent saying she was busy and couldn't receive the call.

If you kissed someone not even five hours ago and they reject your call saying that they are busy, it usually means something isn't right. A thin layer of uncertainty had wrapped Mia's elation because of this. Her fingers hovered over the call button before finally giving in.