Chapter 8: Making a Desicion

Midoriya had been in UA for a week. He hadn't met any of the staff members yet, a bit too nervous of what they'd think of him. He hadn't talked to any of the other students, either, for the same reasons. He spent almost all his time in Nezu's office, even when he was just eating lunch. Nezu didn't mind it, it seemed.

Along with his analysis, Nezu also taught him some coding, although he wasn't very good at it just yet. Which made sense, seeing as he had only been doing it for a week.

At the moment, Nezu was preparing to leave for a meeting with the Hero Commission. From what Midoriya could tell, Nezu didn't actually want to, but he was required to go.

Midoriya absently chewed on the tip of his pencil as he watched Nezu. "Midoriya? Why don't you go hang out in the teacher's lounge while I'm gone? They've been very excitied to meet you." Nezu said, not looking up from what he was doing.

He bit down on the pencil tip, surprised by the suggestion. He pulled it out of his mouth, and stammered, "I... But... They... Me.. Wh-what if they..."

Nezu smiled at him patiently as he tried to put his thoughts into words, and eventually he managed to say, "Wh-what if th-they hate me f-for being quirkless?"

Nezu shook his head, an anger burning in his eyes, likely directed at his previous bullies, "They won't. However, if you're so worried about it, you don't have to tell them."

Midoriya nodded slowly, and Nezu continued, "Of course, you don't have to if it makes you uncomfortable. It was merely a suggestion."

"I'll uh... I'll think about it..." Midoriya mumbled, and Nezu continued to smile, nodding.

"Now then, I must get going! It won't do to be late to the meeting"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Midoriya sighed as he finished the code he'd been working on. Nezu had suggested that he make one only he and Nezu knew, so that way if villains found his notebooks, they wouldn't be able to read it.

It was the last thing he had to do today, as he had already finished his regular academic assignments, and Nezu hadn't actually left anything else for him before he went to the meeting.

It was almost lunch as well, and he still hadn't really decided whether or not he wanted to go to the teacher's lounge, or just eat in the office like he normally did. On one hand, he was really nervous about how they might react to his quirklessness, even with Nezu's reassurance. He didn't exactly want to lie to pro-heroes, and if he didn't tell them, they might think he had an analysis quirk or something, and that would pretty much be lying, wouldn't it?

But on the other hand, this was an opretunity to meet pro-heroes in real life!! That was a once in a lifetime sort of thing, he couldn't just turn it down!

Then again, he was Nezu's personal student, so it wasn't like he wouldn't be able to meet the teachers at some other time. He could wait until he was more comfortable with meeting them, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Except that if he waited, he might just never do it, and he didn't really know what Nezu had planned for him just yet so if he waited too long he might end up losing the chance completely and-

Okay, he needed to stop overthinking it so much. Though, that was definitely easier said than done...

He sighed to himself, holding his head in his head.

He wanted to meet the teachers, he really did, but he was just so scared of rejection.

Midoriya groaned, trying to make a decision. But making a decision like this was just so hard, he couldn't figure out which choice was the best choice. If he didn't go, he might loose his chances of ever meeting them, but if he went to meet them they might end up rejecting him and he wasn't sure he could handle that.

A part of him wished that Nezu had told him he needed to do it, so that he didn't have to stress himself with making the decision, but he knew that if Nezu had forced him to meet them then that would've stressed him out just as much.

He glanced at the clock. 10:50. Lunch time was just getting closer.

He needed to make the decision. He was running out of time.

He could try to flip a coin or something, have luck make the decision for him, but what if he didn't like the outcome he couldn't-

He took a deep breath, trying to pull himself out of his overthinking. He was making this out to be more important than it really was.

But what if he wasn't? What if it really was as big a deal as he thought it was, and he ended up making the wrong choice?

Another sigh, accompanied by a whimper. He just. Needed to make a goddamn decision. Why did it have to be so hard?

Another glance at the clock.

10:51

A whole minute had passed.

At this rate he'd run out of time before he could make the decision.

Maybe if he just ignored it the decision would come to him on it's own.

No!

No, because what if he got sidetracked and forgot that he had to make the decision and ended up regretting it?

But he just couldn't make a choice, because he didn't know what would happen if he made the wrong choice and he didn't want to find out because if he found out then that could be really really bad but how was he supposed to know which choice was the wrong one?

He dug his nails into his palms in an attempt to bring himself back to reality, and hissed in pain, rubbing his hands on his pants to get rid of the pain.

The door opened, and Present Mic came in, holding a stack of papers. He looked at Izuku, and grinned, "You must be the Nezu's kid! I didn't expect for you to be here!"

Izuku merely waved, and Present Mic set the papers on Nezu's desk. He didn't know what they were, but he didn't bother asking. Nezu would tell him if it was anything he needed to know.

"Hey, why don't you come to the teacher's lounge for lunch? The others have been dying to meet you!" Present Mic said, and Izuku froze.

He couldn't just turn down his invite, not now. Now it would just seem rude.

"Y-Yeah, okay.."

A/N

This whole chapter is just self-projection and I don't know how that happened.