Chapter 32

900 Years ago....

Joohyun sat on the corner of her chair, the hanbok that she wore crinkled when she sat. 

'Arrange marriage, what a pain' She thought to herself, 'They want to marry me off despite my condition..' 

She stared off into the view of her house, the house that she grew up to despise, she abhors the life that she lived. 

'IF ONLY YOU WERE A NORMAL FEMALE!!!' The tone of her father rung against her ears, the tone of disgust, anger and disappointment were evident in his tone. Even the woman who gave birth to her did and said nothing as the man who she called father poison her mind with hate.

And now, she's being married off to some old aristocrat, probably some shriveled old bastard, and for what? saving her parents' reputation? 

Parents.....such a weird thing to say........

The woman scoffed, "Should I pretend to poison myself?"

She had enough of this, "I need some fresh air." She stands up and walked towards the exit of her home, and to the crowded streets of Joseon, not exactly the fresh air she's been hoping, but she could use a crowd since the house was painfully quite and empty. 

"A library seems ideal," She muttered to herself, and with that she goes there, hoping to ease her body and soul with literature. 

When she had entered the library, it is what she expects the area should be. Quite. She heaved a sigh, she walks up to one of the shelves and mindlessly take a book. She sat on one of the vacant chairs, immersing on the words of the pages. 

She caught a whiff of a fragrant scent, she turns to her side and sees a woman who is also interested with literature. 

"Hello," The stranger greeted, Joohyun only gives her a shy smile. "Hello," She greeted back at her. 

"What brings you here?" The stranger asks, Joohyun only look at her book again, "Just wanted to look for a safe haven." She replied. 

"And that safe haven is books?" The stranger raised her brow at her, Joohyun can only nod. 

"I'm Taeyeon," 

Joohyun bowed at her, "And I'm Bae Joohyun." 

"You look miserable," Taeyeon commented. 

"Oh, what gave it away?" Joohyun raised her brow at the woman. Taeyeon only chuckled. "I've read that book once, you wished the same freedom the protagonist has." 

Joohyun smiled, "I envy her character." She puts the book down. "Escaping a forsaken marriage, and starting anew." 

Taeyeon smirked, "What if I can help you with that?" 

"How?" Joohyun raised her brow, "My family works for the government, they use me as a political bargain." 

Joohyun dropped her head, "And they'll put me on exile if I don't." 

Taeyeon chuckled darkly, "You follow them despite of what's between your legs, such a good daughter, but I'm not sure about the parents though."

"I'm not sure if I can call them my parents..." Joohyun said in a small voice, she bit her bottom lip, hands slightly shaking. 

"They treat me as if I'm some type of curse." Her voice broke, her eyes welling up with tears. 

"I wished I was just like every other woman here in my country." 

She felt a warm hand caress her back, Taeyeon said nothing as she let out quite sobs, "And I can't believe I'm telling a complete stranger about this, my life..."