Chapter Sixteen - Draco

Start from the beginning

Laughing once more, I beckon to Grabbe and Goyle, and the three of us disappear back to our compartment.

***

The Great Hall looks its usual splendid self, decorated for the start of the term feast. Golden plates and goblets gleam by the light of the hundreds and hundreds of candles, floating over the tables in mid-air. The four long house tables are packed with chattering students and at the top of the hall staff sit along one side of a fifth table, facing us.

Professor McGonagall places a three-legged stool on the ground before the first years. On top of it is an extremely old, dirty, patched wizard's hat. The first years stare at it. So does everyone else.

For a moment, there's silence. Then, a tear near the brim opens wide like a mouth and the hat breaks into song:

"A thousand years or more ago when I was newly sewn,

There lived four wizards of renown, whose names are still well known:

Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor, Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,

Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad, Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream, they hatched a daring plan,

To educate young sorcerers thus Hogwarts School began.

Now each of their four founders formed their own house,

For each did value different virtues in the ones they had to teach.

By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest,

For Ravenclaw, the cleverest would always be the best,

For Hufflepuff, hard workers were most worthy of admission,

And power-hungry Slytherin loved those of great ambition.

While still alive they did divide their favourites from the throng,

Yet how to pick the worthy ones when they were dead and gone?

'Twas Gryffindor who found the way, he whipped me off his head,

The founders put some brains in me so I could choose instead!

Now slip me snug about your ears, I've never yet been wrong,

I'll have a look inside your mind and tell where you belong!"

The Great Hall rings with applause as the Sorting Hat finishes.

Professor McGonagall is now unrolling a large scroll of parchment. "When I call out your name, you will put on the Hat and sit on the stool," she tells the first years. "When the Hat announces your house, you will go and sit at the appropriate table.

"Ackerley, Stewart!" A boy walks forward, visibly trembling from head to foot, picks up the Sorting Hat, puts it on and sits down on the stool. "Ravenclaw!" shouts the Hat. Stewart Ackerley takes off the hat and hurries into a seat at the Ravenclaw table, where they're all applauding him.

"Baddock, Malcolm!"

"Slytherin!" Our table erupts with cheers.

"Branstone, Eleanor!"

"Hufflepuff!"

"Creevey, Dennis!"

"Gryffindor!" the Hat shouts.

The Sorting continues. Boys and girls with varying degrees of fright on their faces move one by one to the three-legged stool. The line dwindles slowly as Professor McGonagall continues down the list.

"Pritchard, Graham!"

"Slytherin!"

"Quirke, Orla!"

"Ravenclaw!"

And finally, the Sorting ends. Professor McGonagall picks up the Hat and the stool and carries them away.

Professor Dumbledore gets to his feet. He's smiling around at the students, his arms opened wide in welcome. "I have only two words to say to you," he tells us, his deep voice echoing around the Hall. "Tuck in."

Rain drums heavily against the high, dark windows. Another clap of thunder shakes the windows and the stormy ceiling flashes, illuminating the golden plates as the remains of the first course vanish and are replaced, instantly, with puddings.

When the puddings have been demolished and the last crumbs have faded off the plates, Albus Dumbledore gets to his feet again. The buzz of chatter filling the Hall ceases almost at once, so that only the howling wind and pounding rain can be heard.

"So!" says Dumbledore, smiling around at us all. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the lists of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprised some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitches. He continues, "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."