"I'm hoooome," she lightly sang out, making me slightly roll my eyes.

"Welcome home, you're here earlier than usual," I said uninterested, my words partially muffled by the food in my mouth. I don't bother to swallow while talking to her, she's seen me do worse things.

Ignoring me, she continued. "Guess who I found at the supermarket?" she sang out again.

I shoved some chow mein in my mouth and reply to her, uninterested in whoever she wanted to talk about. "Was it an old classmate?" I say unconcerned with whatever she was about to say.

Suddenly a familiar deep voice speaks out, surprising me. "No, it was me, fat-ass. Can you not eat and talk? It's very rude," the voice teases me.

I quickly turn my head, looking at my mother and her guest. My eyes quickly widen at the sight of him. He has h/c coloured hair with a middle part. He stood taller than my mom at 5 ft 7 in or 171 cm. He had e/c eyes that distinctly stood out. He looked to be 20,  but I know he was 26. I know exactly who this was.

"Hiroshi!" I loudly shout out, happy to see my brother again. I was tempted to run over and hug him, but I know better. If I do, he'll tease me about it until the day one of us dies.

"Sup, N/n. I was picking up some groceries and ran into Mom. Obviously, as the favourite child, she invited me over for a visit," he sarcastically says, making me chuckle. It's very clear where I got my sense of humour.

"I'm feeling a bit ignored here," I heard my mom complain, definitely wanting some attention.

"Mom, I see you every day, you're not that special," I say teasingly. However, the tease didn't register in my mother's head.

"What did you say?!" Mom lowly growled, almost making me piss my pants. I slowly turned to see her face, regretting it as soon as I saw the threatening scowl on her face. Her normal e/c went dark and her long h/c hair almost looked like it was floating. Even though she was shorter than me, standing at 5 ft 4 in, or 162 cm, her presence took up the whole room, practically suffocating everyone in it.

"O-oh...w-well, um... I s-said it's...g-good t-too s-see you, Mom," I said, stuttering almost every word, scared to say the wrong thing.

"It's good to see you too, sweetie!" my mother responded putting on a cheery voice, her face going back to normal.

"Pfft... she's still got you wrapped around her finger, eh?" I hear my brother laugh out.

"Shut-up asshole!" I slightly shout back, not wanting to disturb the neighbours.

After that, everyone calmed down and joined me in the dining room. We mostly talked about Hiroshi, his job as an English teacher, and why he was lacking a girlfriend under his arm.

-------

"Hey, Y/n, I have something I want to tell you," Mom suddenly said, sounding quite serious.

"Ok...what's up?" I replied, not really matching her tone. I could never take a serious situation well.

"Well..." she paused for a minute, thinking her next words through carefully. "I'm getting rid of your father's stuff. It's starting to take up too much space," she said hastily as if trying to rip off the bandage fast so it didn't hurt. Unfortunately for her, her words did hurt me.

"What?!" I loudly questioned her, upset that she would even suggest such an idea.

"Hiroshi already knows, he said it was fine," she said turning her head towards him, looking for backup, knowing that I wouldn't give this fight up easily. Getting a slight nod from him, she continued. "I know you miss him, I do too. He was the love of my life and I know I'm not going to remarry or even date again. But it's been a year and you are still holding on too tightly. We need you to l-" she said, but I interrupted her before she could proceed.

"NO! Please don't get rid of his stuff!" I shouted, sounding both upset and desperate. I continued on begging, not caring about my pride. "If you need somewhere to put his stuff, I'll take it off your hands, just don't get rid of it!" I shouted again, verging on screaming.

'How dare they try to get rid of him!' I angrily thought, obviously upset by their intentions.

"N/n," Hiroshi started, "your room is already full of stuff. We know you were close with him, but you are slightly over-react-," I quickly cut him off, not wanting to continue this conversation.

"Oh, sorry, I forgot I've got some homework due tomorrow, I'd better get started on that," I said, clearing trying to get out of the conversation. I stood up, leaving my dishes on the table, and hastily marched towards my room. Both my mother and Hiroshi watched me walk away, not saying a word.

Swiftly, I opened my door, walked through, slammed it shut, and locked the door so I could be alone. I lied about the homework, I finished it at school, I just needed a way out of the conflict. I've never been good with fights or confrontation, so I do the only logical thing; run away from the situation. It's a loser move, but it's all I've ever known.

I quickly sigh and flop onto my bed, realizing how rude I sounded earlier.

'I apologize Hiroshi. I'm sorry Mom,' I think, hoping her psychic powers are currently working.

I push myself up into a sitting position and quickly scroll through the photos on my phone, hoping to find my old ones. A picture quickly catches my eye. I stop scrolling and click on it, enlarging it to fit my whole screen. It's of me and my father standing in front of the ocean. It was a bit chilly that day, but the way he smiled could warm anyone up. He was taller than me at the time, he was 5 ft 5 in, or 165 cms tall. His hair was fading from h/c to gray, but he still looked like he was in his mid 30's. His arm wrapped around my younger figure as I smile brightly.

'I wish I could hug him again. His hugs were always so warm and reassuring, they could always make me feel better,' I recall, the pit in my stomach and my heart growing bigger. 

As I stare at the photo longer, I feel tears start to form. I wipe them away using the sleeves of my hoodie.

'Shit,' I think as the tears continue to flow, streaming down my face.

A wave of sleepiness begins to hit me and I can barely keep my eyes open. I plug in my phone and turn it off as I begin to lay my head down on my pillows.

'I miss you, Dad'

My tears stop flowing as my mind begins to quiet down, allowing me to finally rest my red eyes and sleep.

Two chapters in one day?! I must have too much time on my hands. Anyway, this chapter is another filler and helped me introduce Y/n's family and gave them a bit of an internal emotional fight. Ngl this chapter got me in my feels again. I hope the emotion comes across. We'll see if I can get another chapter out to you guys.

Have a good day,

-Kyra

(1978 Words)