🔥4🔥

THE DREAM

“Where am I?” Gabriel wondered, his heart beating faster than usually. He could feel the burning sulfuric heat all around him like he was in Hell “What am I doing here? What is going on?”  He barely could think anymore for fear had taken over.

He banged the locked gate screaming,

“Somebody help! Somebody, anybody please help!” He cried, hitting the gate continuously.

His eyes caught a shadow passing swiftly; he paused, still exhaling through his mouth.
He could hear distant voices speaking in a  language unknown to him “Lord, help me!” He managed to pray.

He couldn't discern the state he was in. Was it a dream? Was it reality? A pop quiz for later cause now,  to Gabriel, the fear was real.

The squeaky voice got louder as it drew closer from the direction behind him. He turned  his gaze trying to sight anything from the dark hollow behind him but, he felt something odd drawing closer, like the presence of a Being with no footsteps. Goosebumps rose all over his skin as he pinned his back against the secured gate.

He couldn’t make out the words but the squeaky voice sent a kind of irritation to his ear. He pressed his palms firmly on both ears to block it out, it was fruitless.

He felt his leg shaking as he squeezed himself to the corner, the presence drew nearer and just as it was visible enough to see, he saw a shadow of an arm, shooting fast like an arrow towards him, grabbing his face.

He screamed, very loudly into reality, only to wake up finding Julie shaking him aggressively.

“I guess you had a nightmare.” Julie said when Gabriel finally awoke.

“None of your business.” He told her off. Still exhaling rapidly and sweating all over.

He placed his hand on his chest and he could hear it pounding “It didn’t feel like a dream.” he told himself “it felt real.”

Gabriel felt a sharp pain in his head, then he turned his gaze at his pillow only to find it soaked in sweat. “What are you doing here?” He asked Julie tiredly.

“I heard your screams and I only came to find out the cause, to see if all was well.” She replied.

“Well I’m fine now so you can leave.” Gab told her calmly.

“OK. Your dad has left already and your Breakfast is on the kitchen table." She informed him then, left his room.

Julie hurried into the kitchen where her phone was; she picked it up quickly and punched some numbers on it. She placed the phone on her ear as she listened to it ring after a while she said,

“Hi, it’s me. It’s starting just how you predicted it would.”

“HMM, keep a close watch at him. Our work has only just begun.” The male voice at the other end of the line, replied.

Julie quickly ended the call as she heard a voice at the door. She turned the top circle of the ring she always wore on her thumb until it made a clicking sound and hurried to the living room.

“Hello Mrs. Harrison.” Andrew greeted as he let himself into the living room.

“Hello Andrew, how are you?” She asked smiling as she shut the door and walked over to the dining table.

“I’m fine thank you.” Andrew replied, wearing a huge smile as he always does.

Andrew Percy is Gabriel’s best friend as well as Jason O’Donnell. They all grew up together in Cleavon town and they knew almost everything about each other. Andrew was tall, almost the same height as Gab, funny, composed, hardworking, intelligent and good looking too. To accessorize his charming face,  God adorned him the cutest dimples.

“Gabriel will be with you soon.” She said while clearing the table.

Almost immediately, Gab strolled  out looking well dressed as always and smelling so fine too. “Hey, Andrew, sup?” Gab said shaking his friend’s hand.

“We have to leave now don’t want to be late, I promised Emy that I’ll show up at drama class today.” Gab said in a hurry.

“Wait a minute; tell me, what’s been going on between you and Emy lately? Because the last time I checked, you said she wasn’t your type.” Andrew asked with confusion written all over his face.

“Nothing, I promise you, nothing other than a harmless friendship is going on between us.” Gab said smiling and accidentally hit his right foot on the left leg of a chair as he took a step forward, causing Andrew to laugh.

||****||

“…..Play the part; acting is all about submitting yourself to the character given to you…” Mrs. Benjamin, the drama teacher kept on talking. But Gab wasn’t interested at all. Gab never liked drama in anyway; still it was hard for him to admit that he showed up because of Emy. Gabriel sat still, thinking as he doodle something on a white piece of paper absent mindedly.

“Hello!”

Gabriel realized Emy was standing in front of him and people were already leaving the class, his eyes fell back on Emy who was still standing in front of him.

“HI!” Gab replied. He rose his pen up to his mouth, and awkwardly stretched out his other hand, point to an empty chair for Emy to sit.

“What wrong? You were here but your mind wasn’t, is everything alright?” she asked, worried, making herself comfortable on the empty seat.

Gab stared at Emy for a while then gazed at the piece of paper on his table.

“I never knew you could draw.” Emy added, taking a good look at the drawing.

“Me neither.” He squeezed the paper frustratingly and tossed it on the floor “It’s nothing.” he said.

Emy's mouth swung partly open.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” Gab said feeling ashamed. “I have to go.” He stood up leaving Emy seating alone, mystified.

“I’m sorry too.” She apologized to Gab who was already long gone. She picked up the squeezed paper on the floor, straightened it and studied it carefully.

The sketch on it was a bit rough; prove that Gabriel wasn’t a good artist. But, his memory was clear and powerful. From the day he saw that crest on those weird men cassock, he hasn’t stopped seeing it in his head.

“Oh my word!” Emy gasped, looking closer, she creased the edge of her brows.

______________________________________

||****||

Words (1072)