The Perfect Plan

This plan would be foolproof. 

Remus had been applying that big brain of his to its full potential. There was no chance of anything going wrong. Much opposed to their regular routine, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter remained inside for a large portion of the day. They sat together in front of the warm, crackling fire talking about their latest mischief. 

"Remus, you sure it will work?" asked Peter.

"Positive." 

"Alright then all we have to do now is carry out the plan," said James, excitement lacing his voice.

"If only you'd show this much enthusiasm toward Potions," said Remus shaking his head.

"But that's not nearly as interesting now is it?" Sirius replied grinning.

James nodded in agreement. "This is going to be great."

"I'm involved, of course it will be," chuckled Remus.

"I'll give you that."

The Fat Lady's painting swung open as Marlene and Mary came stumbling in. Taking their coats off the two girls hastily joined them. 

"Sorry we're a little late," apologized Mary.

"No worries," said Remus making space for them to join.

"So have you worked it all out then?" asked Marlene.

The boys nodded happily. "Great!" said Mary.

"What do we have to do?"

Remus quickly explained the plan with Sirius and James interrupting every few seconds. The girls listened intently with occasional giggles. Even quiet Peter was showing exuberance.

"Good Godric! It really is perfect," exclaimed Marlene. Mary nodded with a mischievous grin.

"Where are you going to get the toe-biting kettle?" asked Marlene.

"Got it already," said Sirius in a sing song voice.

"But what is a toe-biting kettle?" asked Mary with a raised eyebrow.

"It's in the name really. It's a bewitched kettle that will move around trying to bite off people's toes," said Peter.

"Is it dangerous?"

"Well originally it has been known to have bitten a few toes," Sirius laughed as he saw Mary let out a little yelp, "but we made sure it can't do that. It'll just look like it's coming to bite you."

"Ooh I can't wait!" said Marlene.

"You won't have to. We're doing it tomorrow," informed James.

____________________________________

James had woken up very early the next morning and he couldn't contain his excitement any longer. Soon he concluded that it would be a good idea to wake up the other three by shoving pillows in their faces. No... I want to make things a tad more interesting.

He slowly got out of bed and advanced toward Sirius's bed first and cast Silencio on him. Next, he did the same to Remus and Peter. He got a cup from his bedside table and filled it up with some water from the bathroom sink. Then grabbing a pillow from his bed he towered over Peter's bed and hit him hard in the face with the pillow.

Peter sat up immediately and opened his mouth to scream but no sound came out. He grew very flustered and started panicking. James let out a muffled laugh. Peter stared at him with his eyes wide, begging him to turn him back to normal.

James now turned to Sirius's bed with Peter watching him curiously now. He pointed his wand to the cup of water and muttered, "Wingardium Leviosa." An orb of water floated toward him. James carefully motioned his wand to position the orb over Sirius's head. Splash! Sirius had reacted immediately to the contact with the cold water. Jerking awake he was about to let out a shriek when he too failed to find his voice. James realized Sirius was about to come at him. He hastily turned to Remus's bed, "RICTUMSEMPRA!"

Remus was now twisting and turning in his bed, making odd faces trying to keep a straight face. "Merlin, laughter without the sound is really weird," James wondered out aloud. Suddenly, James had been attacked from behind. Unable to perform any spells Sirius now resorted to hitting James instead.

Having finally recovered from the effect of the spell, Remus joined Sirius in the roughhousing. 

"SORRY! BLOODY HELL! I'M SORRY!" snorted James. 

Remus and Sirius got up and watched James rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter. 

Peter banged the headboard to get their attention. He repeatedly pointed to his throat and mouth.

"Don't worry it'll wear off in a few minutes," said James as he jumped up.

Right to his words, the spell wore off six minutes later. Remus wasted no time when he found he could speak again. 

"JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER! YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE ARSE!" 

"Hey! No need to bring out the middle names!"

Sirius emerged drying his hair with a towel, "YOU ARE SIMPLY DESPICABLE! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO DRY MY HAIR!"

James rolled his eyes, "Can't you use a spell or something?"

"NO! BECAUSE IT TAKES AWAY ALL THE MOISTURE AND ALWAYS LEAVES MY HAIR ALL POOFY YOU IDIOT!" screeched Sirius, with a scowl.

James snickered. Peter simply whined, "James... Why would you do such a thing? I'm not Snape now am I?"

James went into another fit of laughter and when the other three had recovered from their temper, they too joined in.

"Now don't use up all your excitement, we still have a prank to pull," said Remus.

"Don't worry this was just a warm up activity before the real game," said James. Peter threw him a dirty look earning another grin from James.

"This is going to be one hell of a day!" said Sirius beaming.