Birthday

The moment had arrived and all was going according to plan. Remus was to go down to the kitchens and get the chocolate cake and other snacks for the party. James would be decorating the common room with the help of a few fellow Gryffindors, Lily of course not being one. She had been cold with Marlene when she, her friend had offered to help in Sirius's birthday party. Lastly, Peter was supposed to distract Sirius and make sure he steers clear of the common room for an hour or so.

"Ok Peter. You will go to Sirius and ask him to show you some tricks or just say some stuff about Snape like "Snivellus is all greasy and is an annoying little git" anything that'll keep him distracted. Got it?" instructed James.
"Yes. Got it. Snivellus is all greasy and is an annoying little git. Snivellus is all greasy and is an annoying little git. Snivellus is all greasy and is an annoying little git," Peter repeated with his eyes closed shut, trying to memorize everything James had just said.
"And I'll go get the cake now. We had uh, 24 sausage rolls, 35 sandwiches, 6 jugs of lemonade, 2 spiced mixed fruit pies and the chocolate cake," said Remus.
James nodded.
"Well off you go, I'll be fixing up the common room with Marlene, Alice, Frank and we've got a few students coming from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw too."

Peter had successfully sidetracked Sirius, who had really thought no one remembered his birthday. Remus had set down all the food using the levitation charm carefully as James finished up with the common room.

"QUICK! HE'S COMING! HIDE, HIDE!" 'James whisper-shouted.
Remus switched off the lights and got into position.
Sirius entered the common room, "What the-"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIRIUS!" said everyone in unison as all the lights turned on.
"Bloody hell!" screamed Sirius.
James and Remus came up and handed him a big nicely wrapped box.
"Happy birthday mate," they said.
Sirius beamed as he opened up his gift. He stared at the box. It was the biggest assortment box from Zonko's with almost every single joke in there.
Sirius bit his lip as he welled up in tears and pulled James, Sirius and Peter into a hug. "Thank you so much," he said in a muffled voice.
"A small gesture for our best mate," said James beaming.
They dispersed and Sirius looked around at everyone with sparkling eyes and then his eyes fell on the food. He grinned widely as he launched himself at the cake like a wild animal.

Remus laughed as Sirius shoved sausage rolls and sandwiches in his mouth. Everyone joined in on the party. Lily had come up to Sirius, muttered a happy birthday', gave Marlene a cold shoulder and headed up to bed. Sirius too thanked her awkwardly.

They had stayed up till one until their head boy had ushered them all to bed. The party had been a winner and Sirius had enjoyed it immensely. No one knew exactly how grateful and emotional Sirius was about this. He had cried that day when no one had written to him from home. Not his horrid mother, or his stupid father, none of his cousins and not even his brother Regulus. But his friends had made up for all that. They had made him forget all about his family calling him a traitor and whatnot. It was the best birthday Sirius had ever had. He thought of his previous birthdays as he lay in bed. They had consisted of his mother saying 'Another year's passed and you still haven't been able to change your worthless ways' and his father uttering a curt 'happy birthday'. Even Kreacher, their house elf would send a few extra snide remarks and malicious grins. The only one who was decent to him was Regulus. He would buy him some sweets and wish him nicely. Now even he hadn't wished him today. Sirius quickly pushed away these thoughts as tears started to blur his grey eyes. "I don't need them now. I've got my friends now," he whispered to himself as he wiped his eyes, a smile etched on his face.