Chapter 18

Severine woke up the next morning and groaned. He hadn't been this sore since his first week at the academy. He felt like he had been hit by a truck which wasn't that far from the truth considering the number of times Blitz had jolted him with electricity. He laid with his eyes closed for a moment longer than realized he was home in bed and his wounds had been dressed. He had no recollection of anything after the punch to his temple. He was sure he had passed out but he wasn't sure how he had made it home. He sat up slowly, not wanting to make himself dizzy.

He sat on the edge of his bed for a moment then stood up. He wasn't wobbling so he decided he could make it out to the kitchen. Marcus was standing at the stove making french toast. He smiled to himself but it quickly faded. He could tell from Marcus's posture something was bothering him, he also hadn't noticed that he had come in the room yet. He cleared his throat and Marcus looked up from the pan, he gave him a once over, then looked back down at the pan.

"You look rough," Marcus said flatly.

"Uh, yeah, it was a rough night at work," he replied.

He saw Marcus nod his head but he didn't say anything else.

"Do you, do you know who brought me home by chance?" he asked.

Marcus glanced at him quickly then away again, he could have sworn he had seen something like pain and regret in the glance but it happened so fast he wasn't sure.

"No, I'm not sure I was in bed by the time you were brought back," he said, carrying a plate of french toast to the table, "here eat up, I'm going back to my room."

"Oh, okay, thanks," he said and smiled weakly.

Marcus didn't return the smile, actually, he noticed he wouldn't even look at him.

After breakfast, he hung out in the living room hoping Marcus would come to the kitchen and they could talk about whatever was going on. He fell back asleep on the couch waiting and woke up later to find he had been covered with a blanket. He looked around but didn't see Marcus. He could hear thunder in the distance. He used his power even though he knew he shouldn't, he wanted to know where Marcus was, he wanted to talk to him. He could tell he wasn't in the apartment so he expanded his range wider and heard his footsteps on the roof. He got up from the couch, grabbed an umbrella, and made his way out of the apartment.