Be amazed Part 50

Start from the beginning

Jessell watched as Ridec scrambled to get a grip on the hole in the tank.  She was asking too much of him, mermen were not made for physical exertions like that.  Not only would he have to grab the hole he would have to haul the weight of his body up and inside.  She didn’t have the energy to blow a lower hole in the material; besides, a lower hole could mean that what little water remained in the tank could run out.  She just couldn’t risk that.

“We have no fight with you,” Jessell said struggling to her feet, only too conscious that Ridec still hadn’t managed to get a firm grip on the hole.

“You’re parents started the war, we’re finishing it,” Sanders said his voice beginning to sound rough and croaky as he drew nearer.

“Let him go, and I’ll…I’ll provide you with all the babies you need,” Jessell found herself saying.

Sanders chuckled.

“I wasn’t born yesterday my dear, I know your type.  You would never let us have not even one of your babies without a fight.  The best satisfaction we could probably get is to watch you two die for the evil your fore parents did to us,” Sanders said.

“They were wrong, we aren’t like…”  Jessell started to say.  She could see Ridec grip the hole with one hand and he was struggling to pull himself up.

“Enough talk, it’s time to die,” Cooke said.

Jessell formed her mouth in an ‘o’, there was no way she could take down all three and she would probably be unconscious by the time she was finished but Ridec would be safe.

“No!”  Ridec screamed seeming to sense what Jessell was going to do.

“I gave you an order Ridec, don’t make me say it twice!”  Jessell responded.

“Such interesting dynamics between these two, it would almost be fun to learn about how they evolved over the years,” Sanders said.

“Almost,” Cooke cut in just.

“Come any nearer and I’m going to kill you,” Jessell warned.

“You can’t even stand up,” Sanders growled.

“I can do this…”

Jessell formed her mouth in an ‘o’ again.  She hoped that Ridec would stick to the plan and get inside of the tank; she was giving up everything to give him a few extra minutes.

The sound of gunfire stopped her and she turned her head to see Rick the young security guard that had caught them coming out of the secret room earlier that night.  He must have heard the gunshots and figured they were in trouble.  He had almost twelve guards with him.

“Clear out before I kill you all,” Sanders said angrily.  “This is between us and the kids.”

“I won’t let you destroy my only chance of being a clean again,” Rick said bravely.

“Look at them,” one of Rick’s buddies whispered.  “I’ve never seen anything like them.”

“Just keep shooting, that’ll make them back off,” Rick said.

“Stupid, stupid unclean,” Sanders said.  “Kill them all.”

“Forget shooting Rick and help Ridec into the tank!”  Jessell screamed.

“What?”  Rick asked.

“Do it!  Help Ridec!”  Her voice seemed so full of authority that Rick didn’t dare question her further, he raced over to the tank and slipped his body under Ridec’s feet and gave him a push.

“Aaaaaaa…..”  One of the young guards screamed as Sanders snatched his head from his shoulders and swiftly moved onto the other one.

“We’ve got to run,” a guard yelled as Cooke ripped a guard’s body in half and saundered off towards another.  Richards stared down at Jessell on the ground, she was the real threat, if she died then the program would probably die with her.  He raced forward; it was time for him to bring his nightmare to an end.

“Stay back!”  Ridec screamed splashing into the two feet of water in the tank.  It wasn’t much, it barely allowed him to make the change to his merman form but it would have to be enough – enough to save Jessell and the brave young guards that had come to rescue them.

“I said stay back!”  Ridec shouted again when Richards continued to rush forward.  Those creatures might not be able to feel a bullet at the base of the skull but he couldn’t imagine them surviving without a head.

“Aaaaaarrrr….”  Richards screamed standing completely still as the water sliced across his neck like a knife through butter.

“Help us!”  One of the guards yelled as Cooke went rushing up to him.  Ridec split the water in two, it required all of his concentration, one half he used like a hand to lift Jessell from the ground and pull her towards him and the next one flung forward like a whip and caught Cooke around his legs and sliced through his body which fell to the ground.

“He’s not dead,” Jessell pointed out feeling the strength surge through her body as she splashed into the water beside Ridec.

“Are you okay?”  Ridec asked.

“No love talk in the middle of a battle, silly,” Jessell said using her hand to curl a whip of water and sling it at Cooke, decapitating him.

Sanders stood there, shocked.  He glanced at the remaining guards and then at Ridec and Jessell in the tank.  He had lost this battle.  He turned and started to run away.  Jessell lifted the water from beside her and hurled it after him.

“Leave him,” Ridec said.  “He’s running away anyway.”

“Men like that don’t run away Ridec,” Jessell said firmly as the water penetrated Sanders back and then ripped his body apart, he dropped to the ground his body torn in pieces.  “They just retreat and return to fight another day.  I don’t have the energy to fight one villain two times.”

“You guys were great.”  Rick said.  “How did you do that?  I thought we were all dead for sure.”

‘Once we get out of this tank they’ll see we’re not like them,’ Jessell spoke into Ridec’s mind.  ‘They’ll probably turn their guns on us too.’

“They ain’t humans, maybe they’re like Sanders and that lot,” one of the other guards said hesitantly.

“I don’t care what they’re like,” Rick said forcefully.  “They just saved our lives.  We’ve worked for Sanders and Cooke for years and they’ve never tried to help us.  That boy says he can cure us and I’m willing to give him a try.”  Rick turned his gun towards the other guards.  “I’ll defend them with my life if I have to.  They’re my only chance to any real life.”

There was silence for a while.

“We came to help when you asked us to, didn’t we?”  One guard said.

“Well then,” Jessell said rising up in the water on her tail.  “Prepare to be amazed.”

They all gasped.