A Perilous Proposal

Start from the beginning

"Are you really so desperate to get lost in nature again?" He jokingly asked while parting the leaves above me. A bunch of amused laughter followed from his posse of onlookers.

Knowing that I wasn't getting out of this, I decided to play it off as coolly as possible. "No, I just dropped my phone and it bounced beneath the bush." I awkwardly laughed while popping back up, giving my phone an unnecessary dusting with my hand to further sell my act.

"Well, I'm sure that you're wondering why I've asked you to meet me here at the lake today." He held out his arms and turned towards the small encircling crowd who were now all filming and taking pictures. It was more like he was talking to them than to me.

"Not really, no." I grumbled while stumbling out of the bush, knowing that this was just one of his stupid social media stunts. "But I would like to talk in private if you don't mind."

He laughed me off as though I had made a hilarious joke. His hand wrapped around mine with a loving smile upon his lips. Yet that smile did not match the dissatisfaction and distain glinting in his seafoam green gaze as it raked over my body and face. I had not gone to the tanning salon, nor was I wearing too much makeup. Just a bit of pink lipgloss and mascara.

My heart sank along with him as he slowly dropped down to one knee before me, realizing exactly what was about to happen. He was going to pull the most dreaded stunt imaginable. A public proposal.

Oh, no, no, no, no, no...

"Lucilia Febe Lovette." He began to tenderly speak, saying the wrong middle name... Oh, fuck no... All the products in his perfectly styled hair kept it safe from the ministrations of the wind, as he stared up at me as though I were the love of his life. "The reason I asked you to be here today is because from the very moment I first saw you, I thought that you were the most beautifulest woman I'd ever seen in my entire life. I knew that you were the one to complete me. To make me the happiest man in the world." The onlookers all swooned at his superficial speech. "And that's why I have come here today. To put a ring on your finger. To make you mine, forever and always." He opened up the large velvet encased box, revealing two rubber stamps. One with "NO" etched upon it, and the other with "YES." And between those two stamps, a beautiful diamond ring with a golden band was cozily nestled upon the blue velvet cushion, glittering radiantly in the sunlight.

My jaw dropped in stupefied horror while my eyes awkwardly darted around at all the surrounding people. Cameras were wildly flashing and all eyes were upon me, eagerly awaiting my answer. Justin did nothing but continue to grin up at me with a fake overly perfect smile. Not only did I feel completely put on the spot, but it was as though he had purposely tried to trap me into saying yes, lest I look like a major bitch.

I clenched my fist, feeling a swirling storm of rage brewing within the pit of my stomach. A bitter acidic feeling burned in the back of my throat at the audacity of this man. Without any warning, I hastily swooped up the "NO" stamp and stamped him across the forehead with it, leaving behind a big fat "NO" in bright red ink.

A chorus of gasps and shocked murmurs followed while Justin stared up at me utterly dumbstruck. "No." I harshly whispered while furiously glaring down at him. "I will not marry a man who finds no value in who I am as a person. Who only cares about my superficial appearance! If you truly loved me then you would not treat me as a mere trinket. You would show me love even while the cameras are turned off." I angrily gestured at all the cameras. "You would have at least asked about my wellbeing upon my return. You don't even know what happened to me for crying out loud! Nor did you bother to find out! I would be a fool to become your wife!" I threw the stamp to the ground, making it splash into a shallow puddle.