Chapter Sixty-Two: Okay, Close Your Eyes

Start from the beginning

Jordan cut off his mom by setting his soda down a bit too harshly.

She blinked. "What? What's wrong?" Then she looked like she got it. "She doesn't know? I thought she did. For Pete's sake Jordan, you went out painting with her. How can you expect me to know that you didn't tell her?"

Jordan sighed. "I didn't." He then got up. "I'm not hungry."

The both of us looked at his plate with his pizza barely had a bite. I got up, trying to stop Jordan from leaving.

"Don't-"

But he slammed the door on my face.

"Well, that's one way to ruin dinner," his mom muttered to herself.  She got up from the couch and stretched. "It's late anyway I guess. Let me take you home, Naomi."

In her Honda SUV, Jordan's mom began to drive me home with my address in her phone. She explained to me the big car because she hosts a carpool when going to work with her neighbors, though she didn't need to. I guess she was trying to fill in the awkward silence that Jordan made the moment he left to his room.

"I really did thought you knew," she told me quietly.

I shooked my head. "It's not your fault, and honestly..."

She glanced at me. "So you did know?"

"It was like he was dropping hints," I told her. "Like he wanted me to know, but at the same time he didn't. Plus it was a theory that Graeae is colorblind with his choice of colors. I wanted to ask but I knew I shouldn't."

"I'm thankful for your respect of our privacy," she said with a smile. "Jordan has always been a tough kid, and only recently he started opening up his colorblindness to his two other friends..."

"Declan and Bennett," I said.

She nodded. "Yeah, they'd come late covered in spray paint and I knew they must've known about it. I'm just happy he trusts them with it." She stopped then added quickly, "Not that I'm saying he doesn't trust you."

I chuckled awkwardly. "No, it's alright. If you don't mind me asking..."

"You're wondering what type it is, aren't you?" She finished. "Well let me tell it to you straight, colorblind doesn't really mean, color blind. You do not know how confused I first was when I found out."

"Most people think that colorblind means they see everything in black and white, like an old television show."

"Right," she said. "There's deuteranopia, protanopia, and tritanopia. Sorry for confusing you with the fancy scientific words, I'm pretty proud of myself that I even remembered them. But in reality, colorblind is like mixing up only certain colors like red-green colorblindness, and are just confused by the different colors. That's not the case with Jordan."

She was quiet for a while before saying, "It happened when he was little." She made a forced laugh. "You know kids, never really listening to you after you tell them so many times. 'Don't chase a ball into the street,' I always told him. Then the car came out of nowhere and..." She trailed off from there.

"I'm-"

"Don't be," she said. "You know Jordan now, he's doing just fine. But anyway, what he has is cerebral achromatopsia."

I didn't know much about colorblindness to know the term. "What is that?"

"That is the fancy way of saying total colorblindness, when you see everything in black and white," she explained. "Jordan has cerebral because it was caused by the accident. If it was congenital it was inherited. Usually people with achromatopsia have bad vision and are really sensitive to light, so sensitive they need special glasses for it."