Part Twenty-two

This part is a bit short, sorry :'D as always thank you for voting and commenting! I'll be good is recently on place 87 in the hashtag sad..place 87 in over 314K stories with the same hashtag, i really can't believe that?! XD

______________________________

Of course Regulus knew about the death of James' parents. The whole wizarding world knew, as they were well known and popular - loved by the one side, hated by the other - and he had heard about his kind of people celebrating their death like it would be the news of the century. It was tasteless and terrible and even though the Slytherin had only then a few times at charity galas and never talked to them personally, it made him angry how people acted. He was unsure if he should say something regarding to that towards James. Condolences or words to cheer him up, which he surely didn't even have. And honestly, how do you cheer someone up after such a thing? Lately he felt uncomfortable around his own parents, but if they died it would pull the grounds away under his feet. So he left him alone for a few days, maybe also because he felt uncomfortable confronting him. But when he saw him on the seat at the Quiddtich pitch when he wanted to get his forgotten scarf from the locker, he couldn't help it. Potter looked lonely and like he would be out of the world and maybe it was what he wanted, but he still had the urge to talk to him. And so he did. Not much, but ending up asking him to go to Hogsmeade with him. Reg didn't know what he was thinking to do that. The invitation came out without much thought and expectation of him saying No anyway, so the outcome really surprised him. And he held his joy back for as long as he talked to him. Thirty minutes later he left the pitch, heart racing from excitement and barely able to stop having an idiotic grin on his lips.

A few hours later, picked up by his father, he stood between a bunch of other deatheaters and his parents, the Dark Lord on the other side of the room. A satisfied look on his face, he started to talk: "Today, we have something to celebrate. Two of the most annoying aurors finally out of the way. This leaves a big hole in their formation. That was a very good job, Bellatrix."Regulus side eyed his cousin, anger building a knot in his stomach and having the urge to shove her want up her...well, parts that didn't see daylight. The Lestrange laughed her high pitched laugh at the praise, almost literally looking with hearteyes at the leader: "It was an honour, Dark Lord, their screams were music in my ears. I would have loved to bring them here alive, so you can kill them, but- " The Dark Lord raised his hand and she stopped talking, but still a proud grin on her lips. The Black felt a bit sick, he just understood the whole extent of being one of them. Sooner or later he would have blood on his hands, killing innocent people, just for them being born as something else than a pureblood. He heard his blood rushing in his ears and the room started to spin. Trying to steady himself, he took a few deep breaths. This was bad...really, really bad. He was quite smart, how could he be so stupid in this point?He didn't notice that everyone was looking at him, until Mulciber senior hardly nudged his shoulder and let him fall out of his thoughts. Reggie paled and nervously ran his hand through his hair: "I..I'm sorry. I was in thoughts."The Dark Lord glared at him, but decided to let it go this time and repeated the question he had asked him before: "How are things going at Hogwarts? Keeping an eye on Dumbledore and looking out for new recruits I hope?"The Black swallowed. Looking out for new recruits? Keeping an eye on Dumbledore? He hadn't really done any of these things recently, too caught up in his own personal drama. Plus that he definitely didn't want to pull any other people into their circles. But he nodded, straightening his shoulders: "Yes. Dumbledore is still working a plan out, but he doesn't seem to make big steps of success right now. There's a lot going on at school, Quidditch season started and he's more invested in that at the moment. And I'm having two older students in consideration, but I'm not fully sure if they're suited for this." He knew that he was a good liar and wasn't worried that anyone would doubt his words. And he was right. The Dark Lord nodded approving: "That's good. Now that Fleamont and Euphemia Potter are gone, their kid probably is going to try making trouble. But he's unstable at the moment. This could be a good moment to pull them at our side. Black, I want you to keep an eye on him and to try winning him for us. If he's as talented as his parents were, he would be a good addition for our rows. And everyone who's at our side, isn't a problem from the other."Regulus heartbeat shot up. The bad feeling about trying to recruit James shoved away, he just heard the part with not only having permission to be in his near, but also literally being asked to. Oh..that opened many new doors. He had a very hard time to hold back a grin. This just got so much better. He quickly glanced over to his father, who looked a bit shocked and green-ish, but of course he couldn't contradict Voldemort's orders. "I will do my best, Dark Lord. I shall put him on top of priority, he's more important than the other two", Regulus replied nonchalantly and serious, like it wasn't the best thing a meeting ever had brought for him. The Dark Lord just nodded and went on with giving out other missions to the others and Regulus didn't bother to listen anymore. He was too busy being happy about how things played into his hands.

Regulus dropped on his bed after he changed into his black silk pyjamas and squeezed his eyes shut, trying to retrace the day. He definitely could put that one under "Most Unexpected Day ever", and honestly, he wasn't mad for once about not having control over his situation. A smile curled up his lips as he thought about tomorrow and he quickly sat up and reached out for his parchment and quill.

I apologise for disturbing you that late,
we don't have to mind being seen together anymore, the problem solved itself.
I was told to keep an eye on you.
R.A.B

He hesitated, eyes hanging on his handwriting, was that too giving away if someone inappropiate caught the paper? He wasn't sure, but he had no idea how to write it differently and he just thought, James should know. So he sent it off, just hoping for the best. He watched the little piece of parchment flying out under the door and put away his writing stuff again. Instead, he pulled out his book about ancient egyptian magic and leaned against the headpiece of the bed, trying to keep his mind focused on the book rather than creating scenarios about the upcoming day.