[Act 1] Chapter 28: Service of Nobility

Start from the beginning

"And why is that? What are three elves and two women going to do in this city? I understand the magician girl if my wet nurse's stories were to be believed, but why the women?"

"It is merely protocol. Any foreign delegation is to be watched over to prevent any espionage from taking place."

"And so what? From what I am seeing, no such information that could be gained would tip the scale since yours is already sinking into the ground."

"Is that why you turned to our side?" Simo asked, sitting forward with a sense of genuine intrigue. "You realised that the momentum shifted away from the Usurper you decided to become a secessionist?"

"Why must I answer that?" Erenn demanded, his knight's facial expressions backing up his resistance. "Are you implying something about my honour?"

"I'm not implying anything, just stating a simple fact that I'd like confirmed. Only after that fateful day outside Guinevere did you finally decide to convert to the other side."

Erenn grunted as he cut a slice out of his cake. "I already told your commanding officer that I have no intentions of joining the sinking ship. Only a brain-damaged fool would look upon the things that he had seen that day and decide to remain on the opposite side. A wider man would do anything he can to get himself aligned with the side destined to win."

The table went almost silent, save for the munching of food and gulping of water, as Erenn believed to himself justified, not making eye contact as continued to chew into his deserts, sharing small pieces with his fellow knights.

"Vera," Salomon called, "what do you think about your own situation as well as everyone else's, including secessionists?"

"What don't I think?" Vera sighed, digging her fork into a pickle. "Seeing Erenn so willingly want to ally himself with the Germans really tells me what I already know: people are going to flock to them, not Guinevere."

Erenn sniggered, cutting a piece of his cake. "And why is that, do I wonder? Could it be the fact that your empress is nothing but a German bootlicker who relies on the men beyond the Gate to reclaim her throne?"

Vera clenched her fists, utensils still in hand, and glared at the archduke. "You are one to talk, Erenn! Succeeding from the empire that stood for a thousand years only to throw yourselves at the Germans?"

"And what in the name of the Paragons do you expect anyone to do? Go back to your side? At least I can keep the integrity of my nation by backing sure it isn't burnt to the ground and extinct from the fires of this, so-called, Reich. And do not think about accusing me of false integrity, Vera, as it is clear that you and your little empress are going to nothing but puppets to the men in grey."

"If there is a German bootlicker, it is you, Erenn," Vera declared, earning the ire of Erenn's men as they gave her chilling looks.

"Not in my books," Erenn rebuked. "I call it necessary subservience. I believe that if I prove my worth to the Reich, we would be allowed to live, survive and thrive."

Vera's face started to burn red, despite her best attempts to calm herself. "You are a fool if you think they allow you to live, survive and thrive in your dream of feudal domination."

Erenn's face remained indifferent. "Perhaps, but at least my kingdom would still be alive. The people, at least."

"Because you are willing to let yourself become a hollowed skin who'd sell himself out to the highest bidder."

"The hypocrisy in your statement is so large it inflates your oversized armour. Both our nations are going to be under the watchful eyes of overlords, the difference being one is willing to maintain relations with them while the other is a child who thinks they can run off whenever they want."