We All Hate Snape

"Sirius, Remus, Peter," said James tipping his imaginary hat to them one by one.

"I know that look. What did you do?" asked Remus with a raised eyebrow.

James gasped and made an offended face.
"Why must you always assume the worst of me?" he said dramatically as he slumped onto the couch beside Sirius.

"So you didn't do anything then?"

James shook his head, "Not yet at least. I had an ide-"

"No," cut in Remus.

"I didn't even say anythi-"

"No."

"Remus!" whined James.

"No."

Sirius and Peter were sent into a fit of laughter. James scowled at Remus.
"Not very nice of you Lupin."

"I'm aware," replied Remus in an unbothered tone, flipping through pages of Quidditch Times.

"Sirius my friend, listen please," pleaded James.

"Go on," said Sirius grinning.

"You know how our first year is coming to an end right?"
Sirius and Peter nodded.

"So I say we give a certain Slytherin a of a farewell tribute."

"Ah of course. So thoughtful of you James. Such a gentleman," said Sirius.

James gave in to the urge to give a little bow.

"So what do you propose we do?" asked Sirius.

"Hmm... Haven't really thought about that. I was hoping we could come up with something together."

"You really don't learn do you?" Remus spoke up, setting his magazine aside.
James gave him a confused look.

"Merlin you're dumb. Don't you remember how mad Lily got?"

"Not exactly our favourite memory to be reminiscing about," said Sirius rolling his eyes.

"Don't do it James," warned Remus.

"Oh don't be so goody goody," said James slightly annoyed.

"Whatever, I warned you."

"Oh we-" started James as he was interrupted by Lily busting into the common room. She was sobbing horribly and ran past them up to the girl's dorm.

"Bloody hell, we didn't even do anything yet," said Sirius.

"Oh no. I'd go talk to her but boys aren't allowed to go up there. I'll go talk to Marlene," said Remus getting up.

"I'll come too," said James, astonished at his own words.

"Uh sure."

They roamed the halls a bit till they spotted a very red looking Marlene conversing seriously with another Gryffindor they knew to be Mary MacDonald. 

"Marlene! Mary!" called out Remus waving his hands.

"Remus? What is it? What do you want?" Marlene asked her eyes puffy.

"Is everything alright? We just saw Lily running to the girls' dorm crying."

"No. Nothing is alright. And it's all that stupid and horrid Snape's fault. Ugh Merlin I hate him," she said through gritted teeth, running her hand through her hair.

"What happened?" asked James sympathetically.

"You know Lily is a muggle-born right? Her sister Petunia thinks she's a some kind of freak and she wrote Lily the most hateful letter you could imagine. She called her terrible names and said everyone was ashamed of her and despised her and that she was an utter disgrace."

"Oh... But why is that Snape's fault?" asked Remus, confused.

"So Lily went to Snape to talk to him about it and he insulted her sister and said she wasn't worth a dime and that she was jealous of us , wizards and said we were superior and some more stuff of the kind. Then Lily got mad at him for insulting her family and he retorted and uh said..." Marlene was struggling to say the rest of the sentence.

"He called her a "stupid muggle-born"," finished Mary with a stony look.

"NO!" gasped James and Remus in unison.

"He said she was idiotic to not be able to appreciate her magical powers and all that codswallop," said Mary.

"THAT DISGUSTING LITTLE TOAD!" cried James.

"We told Lily to break it off with Snape and she snapped at us and ran away," Marlene said now with a hint of sadness in her voice

"I understand. Don't worry, I'm sure things will work out," said Remus reassuringly, followed by a kind smile from James.

The two girls nodded, grateful for his words.

________________________

"Hey James?" asked Remus walking back to the castle.

"Yeah?"

"That tribute doesn't sound too bad now. Snape needs to learn a little lesson."

James smirked, "Sure."