-21-

Being demoted from someone like a princess to a sinner was... Not a nice feeling. I was stripped off my attendents and was told to wear the blue the priestesses of the temple usually wore. The return back to the surface was through another route through torched earthen caverns.

Finally, I got to see the cultivations. It was a cultivation in the caves with skylights pouring sunlight on the crops which were reflected all over by the mirrors with the ceiling held up by pillars of white stone. There were at least a hundred caves underground, with a type of crop in each and a skylight in each cave. Workers climbed down the skylights through ladders while the irrigation was through small pipes that dripped water continuously from a corner and made small channels all over the cavern floor.

Mara saw my awe and said, "It's quite amusing isn't it."

I nodded. I didn't recognize any of the crops, but the whole thing was amusing enough for me to forget that I was returning to the surface with a reputation of a cursed women as my ex-fiance followed my sister to see the outside world as a guest.

The fact that he was happy that he was engaged to Syanaam somewhat annoyed me, Asith as well. I had no feelings for the boy, but it was rather annoying to know that everyone now had a reason to dislike me. But I tied my best not to care, for I was planning to leave the city. The high priestess should at least give me that opportunity considering I got sick and almost died for her cause, not to mention got kidnapped from my home.

At the temple, my to was changed to a normal one the priestess's used. I didn't want to remain a priestess for I held no faith in their religion. I attended their prayers out of respect and I requested as audience with the high priestess from the priestess's at a higher level from me, only to earn their scorn.

Sometimes, I saw Syanaam and the city heir, sometimes Mara. Mara somewhat grew distant, which felt somewhat, sad and irritating. Shalom helped me once in a while, while Asith was busy tending the heir.

I didn't see Zharu either.

Oneday, after a day of eating a meager meal and washing clothes (stuff I had never done in my life to be honest) I was summoned by the high priestess.

I met her once again in a office as she studied me.

"I hear you aren't so... Devoted that the other priestess complain all the time."

"They complain about everything when it comes to me," I said.

"It would do better if_"

"I already have a religion. I have no enmity against yours, but that doesn't mean I am willing to follow it just because you say so."

"I understand that you are angry at me for what happened, but please understand_"

"Then let me go."

"W-what?"

"I no longer hold any need to you, I suggest you allow me to leave this city."

There was a log silence. It was the first time I heard her stutter.

"Where would you go? Do you think it's easy to live outside."

"I can travel with merchants. I do no wish to stay in the temple for the rest of my life."

"You don't understand. Once you get a higher rank, the others will have no choice but respect you. You are clever, girl! You can surely rise the ranks."

"Why should I?"

Silence enveloped the room again.

"Are you angry?"

"Yes, I am." I replied. "Yet, this isn't my home. You took me away from my home. I want to go back."

"You can't_"

"I won't know if I try."

"This world isn't safe. You can live here safely."

"I believe I grew up with too much pride to do that."

The high priestess stood up, "Then swallow it up!"

"Why?"

"Why do you mean why!"

"This isn't my home. I want to go home. I want to see my family again."

"We are you family!"

I felt frustration bubble up inside me. She is okay to use me but scared to get me go.

"Which mother poisons her own daughter. Which sister despises her own sibling for something as silly as a crush when she isn't even guilty. We are strangers, alya. Do you even know my name?"

The high priestess simply stared at me.

"My mother probably misses me, along with my brothers. Maybe even my father. Even if they aren't my blood. Even if they treat me differently when I go back, I would still be home. I beg you alya, let me leave. I will leave even if you give me permission or not."

"I apologize for my conduct, but please, daughter."

"The role of a mother doesn't suit you. In that aspect, I feel sorry for Syanaam."

The left the room without looking back. I would leave. Even if she allowed me to or not.

Little did she know, my opportunity knocked on her doorstep soon after.