"Merlin." James said "I can't hear this debate again. They do this every year." 

"It is a tradition!" Sirius said. Collapsing back onto a nearby chair. Remus was usually fine with not showing any public displays of affection. It felt too open. But now with the flurry of emotions he was feeling it a great deal restraint not to walk over to the chair and pull Sirius into his lap. "Moony always packs my trunk for me!"

It was true that Remus had always packed Sirius trunk. It started in first year purely due to aneixty as he watched the hours tic by and Sirius refused to pack. So Remus had just done it. As the years processed and he found out more of the horrors Sirius was returning home to Remus begain to understand why he refused to pack. So Remus just did it for him. Any small comfort he coukd give him.

Since he'd been living in the Potter Remus had been trying to get Sirius to do it himself. 

"I might not always be around to pack your suitcase" Remus had said the end of fifth year as he shoved socks into Sirius trunk "You need to learn to do it yourself"

"Don't be daft Moony" Sirius had replied from where he sat on James' bed flicking through a Quidditch magazine "You'll always be around." 

"I'm not doing it this time" Remus said "Pack it don't pack it I don't care." 

"He always says this" Sirius said addressing Lily now "And he always packs it in the end."

"Not this time" Remus was aware he sounded petunant but he did not care. He would die on this hill. He would end his sixth year of education having finally stood his ground and made Sirius dig his own robes out form under his bed. 

"Please Moony?"

"No"

"Moony"

"No"

"Come on"

"I am not leaving a perfectly good party to pack your trunk."

"Fine don't leave. You can pack it in the morning." Sirius said still grinning. 

Remus rolled his eyes but decided to let it go for now. The party went on as most Gryffindor parties did. Everyone drank more than they should, sang louder than was necessary, and destroyed their cozy common room. Remus let Lily pull him off the couch when Rhinestone Cowboy came on and swayed awkwardly while she danced, and Padfoot just laughed at them. Mostly though he sat and smoke taking in each of his friends. A painful pull in his heart told him to remember each detail of them. Growing up surrounded by war made you realize that the best case scenario was they would never be young like this again, and the worst was they would always be held in this state of youth, 

The party ended with James, Lily, Peter, and Sirius, collapsed on to a set of couch by the open window. The cool air was welcome after the sweaty atmosphere of the party. Remus had no idea what time it was and he had no interest. Knowing the time would just be a reminder of the fleeting hours Lily's head rested on James shoulder. Remus decided to slump on to the floor where Sirius quickly joined him. The common room was empty and his mind was still foggy so Remus couldn't stop himself from putting an arm around Sirius and pulling him close. Sirius seemed a bit confused but ultimately happy. 

"What do you reckon seventh year will be like?" Peter asked. 

"Oh Wormy it will be a dream" James said always believing the good "I'll be dating the head girl so we will be able to get away with anything."

"I've not been made head girl yet" She said hitting James chest in mild annoyance. "And if I am I'll be making an example out of you. No mercy."

"Plus we will be busy next year with NEWTs" Remus added. His back was pressed against the couch and his long legs sprawled in front of him. Sirius' smaller frame slotted against his side, one of his legs lay over Remus'.