An uneasy feeling settled over Hiccup. "And you didn't think to mention this to us?"

"I had no proof, and you could have figured it out on your own."

"We know now," Viggo said. "What will we do about it?"

"What happens if Valka's Bewilderbeast defeats Drago's?" Eira asked.

"He would likely gain control over the dragons the other was controlling. If you want to free the entire army at once, it's an efficient option."

"But if Drago's wins... he gains control of control of all these dragons," Hiccup said, eyes wide. "If Valka thought it was worth the risk, she would have already tried it."

"Then you need to convince her otherwise," Krogan said.

"First, you need to convince me otherwise. We're not risking all of these dragons."

Krogan's expression hardened. "We may not have a choice. We can't hide out here forever."

"Valka seems to think otherwise," Eira said. "We need to be thinking about how to get out of here."

"We could-"

Sigurd darted past him and stationed himself by the cave entrance once more. This time, he was followed by Toothless, Swiftwings, and Ruby. "Not again," Hiccup groaned. They did not need any more surprises.

"Oh, I forgot to mention something," Viggo said. "I showed Runa Eira's letter and told her where I was going. Then I sent the Terrible Terror back to her."

"What?!" Eira said in alarm. "Why would you do that?"

Viggo gave her a pointed look. "I don't hide things from my loved ones. And while I wanted to help you, I didn't want to be stuck here. I told Runa to send someone after me the following day as a backup plan."

"You weren't specific about who she should send?"

Viggo shrugged. "Well..."

Hiccup gasped loudly when none other than his father stepped out of the cave. "Are you kidding me?" he said. "How'd you get in here?"

"The same way we're getting you out," Stoick said with determination. After stepping out into the open, Gobber, Dagur, and Heather emerged with their dragons.

"Thank Thor we found you," Heather said in relief. Dagur looked at Eira but immediately glanced away when their eyes met.

"We need to get out of here now." Stoick paused when he saw Krogan but then continued looking around at the group. "All of you, let's go."

"The Bewilderbeast isn't going to let us go," Eira said calmly.

"What are you going on about?"

"A what now?" said Gobber.

"The King of Dragons," Viggo said, nodding in the direction of the Bewilderbeast. "He controls the minds of our dragons if we attempt to leave."

Stoick gave Hiccup an exasperated look. "Can't you just train it like every other dragon you meet?"

Hiccup chuckled nervously. "You see, there is a bit of a complication..."

"What complication?"

"What is going on now?!" Valka roared from behind them.

Hiccup swallowed hard. "Dad, meet the complication."

"I believe they've already met," Gobber said, eyes wide.

Stoick and Valka froze in shock when they saw each other. Then he slowly moved towards her. "I know what you're going to say, Stoick," Valka said nervously. "How could I have done this? Stayed away all these years. And why didn't I come back to you? To our son. Well, what sign did I have that you could change, Stoick? That anyone on Berk could? I pleaded so many times to stop the fighting, to find another answer, but did any of you listen?"