Chapter 30: Seattle Christmas Reunion

Finally, Christmas came, and George couldn’t wait. He had been tuning and practicing all day on the train to Seattle, eager to impress and make up for his almost month-long absence.

    8pm came, and this point, everyone else was having a blast. 

    It seemed like an odd idea to do a show on Christmas, but it was less of a show and more of a private gathering for a rich girl’s school in the city, so there was less objection.

    On the dot, the temporary guitarist left the stage, setting the guitar down as he left.

    This seemed to confuse Paul a bit.

    “John, what’s going on?”

    “Wait.”

    There was an unexpected anticipation from the crowd. The lights dimmed, and a spotlight appeared over John.

    “Ladies,” he said into a microphone, “we have a little Christmas present for you.”

    A scream roared from the crowd, and Paul just stared even more.

    “You know him, hell, you may even love him. But he’s BACK!”

    “..who?”

    The lights went out again. When they came back up, George was standing in front of the microphone, holding his trusty Gretsch guitar.

    “Lovely to be back performing for you all.” 

    The crowd erupted into a cacophony of loud, teenage screams, and even Paul couldn’t contain his excitement. He ran into George with the speed of a cheetah, accidentally tackling him to the ground as a result.

    “Sorry ‘bout that, mate.”

    “No problem.” George muttered as he stood back up, guitar in clutch. As he stood back up and made his way to the guitar, the crowd continued their screams, and George took a minute to situate himself in front of the mic.

    “Alright then. I figure you all will know this one, it’s by our good friend, Chuck Berry.”

    He plucked out the opening notes of “Roll Over Beethoven”, and the concert continued without a hitch.