Chapter 14

Seraphina Amor

Over the short time I've spent so far at the small cafe Rosemary had decided to take us to, I learned that she doesn't like to wait in long lines and her favorite pastry is chocolate filled croissants.

The metal table that we were sat at was right in the direct sunlight causing the metal to be warm to the touch. There was a small breeze drifting in the air which alleviated some of the heat that was starting to build up.

"So are you enjoying the city so far?" Rosemary asks, looking at me over the rims of her sunglasses. She was holding the steamy tea that she had ordered in her right hand while the left held her chin in her palm.

I chew slowly on the danish that she had suggested for me to try as I shrug my shoulders.

"Is it really that bad here? Not as cool as America?" she questions, nose scrunching up as she watches me swallow down the food in my mouth. I shake my head before answering, grabbing the napkin that rested on my lap and wiping my mouth.

"New York is not as nice as here, I can assure you," I respond, clearing my throat as I finish my sentence. Rosemary grins, leaning back into her seat and sipping on the tea.

"What's your favorite place you've been so far?" she asks, cupping the drink in her hands. I look down at where my own mug is resting, hands wrapping around the cup as I shake my head.

"I haven't really had the time to go anywhere," I answer, tilting the mug around to watch the drink swirl around.

It goes silent for a moment and I glance up to see Rosemary narrowing her eyes at me with pursed lips. I give her a weird look, shifting around in my seat.

"What?"

"You mean to tell me that you haven't seen any parts of the city in the time you've been here?" She looks a little baffled to say the least, eyes wide in surprise.

I just shrug my shoulders. "I did drive around but I haven't actually visited anywhere. Not really a top priority at the moment."

Rosemary scoffs, shaking her head in pure amusement. Her smile is bright, her plump lips stretching across her face.

"You really need to get out more. Should see the city," she suggests, staring at the road that was to her left. I just nod along, taking another bite of the danish. It goes quiet for a moment or two while I finish chewing the pastry.

"Enough about me, what about you? How'd you get your job working at La Rosa?" I ask her and she moves her head back to face me with a faint smile.

"I want to become a fashion designer one day. Make my own clothing line and such. Originally got the job to pay my way through school and then the owner let me start designing dresses to up my practice," Rosemary explains, her eyes lighting up as she tells me about her work.

As she rambles about the fashion industry and how she wants to contribute to it, the idea of what had prompted me to call her in the first place pops back into my head. I still needed a dress for that gala.

I patiently waited for her to finish her side of the discussion, not wanting to cut her off while she was in the middle of talking about something she was so passionate about. Once I know she's finished speaking, I lean forward and give her a gentle smile.

"I was wondering..." I begin, resting my forearms onto the table and lacing my fingers together, "would it be possible for you to help me pick out a dress for this party I have to attend to for work?"

Rosemary practically beams at my question, leaning forward and sending me an excited look. "What kind of dress are we looking for?"

"The party is masquerade themed so I would assume something that corresponds with that. Or, at least that's what the invitation suggested," I tell her, moving my hands around as I talk. She nods along, eyes darting around aimlessly as she thinks of anything she might have that could work for the event. I allow her to brainstorm in peace, lifting up my drink to finish the rest of the tea.