Gwen removed her hand and coached Lila in a breathing exercise. After she calmed down, Lila gave Gwen a small smile. She didn't know what she would do without her.

"Ok. Let's do this." The girls grinned at each other and got on the bus.

🪴🪴🪴
The debate team came in second place. Lila was bummed and blamed herself even though she got them the most points. Gwen grumbled the whole way back to the school. "We should've won," she mumbled, "You know, if you had just let me play the we have a crippled kid on our team card, we would've gotten sympathy points." If you hadn't noticed, Gwen is competitive.

Lila laughed and turned to her best friend, who sat next to her, "We are not going to use the fact that I am handicap to our advantage, Gwen. That's so wrong." Gwen just shrugged.

When the team returned to the school, 2nd lunch had just started, so Gwen and Lila decided to find the boys and eat with them. Peter, Ned Leeds, Harry, and Lucas Stark were sat at their signature table in the back of the cafeteria. They seemed like they were in a serious conversation because Harry was yelling at Ned while Peter and Lucas were covered their ears. As the girls made their way over, Harry noticed them and hurriedly jump out of his seat to greet them.

"Oh, thank God you're here. I'm friends with an imbecile." He groaned as he hugged Gwen to his chest and patted Lila's head.

Well, hello to you too," Lila laughed as she carefully sat next to Lucas, who helped her put her crutch under the table. He smiled at her and kissed her cheek, making her blush madly. "Hey, Sweets." Lila blushed even more at the nickname Lucas had given her in the 7th grade. She had an unhealthy obsession with Sweet Tarts and every time Lucas saw her, she was popping them into her mouth like they were pills. From then on, he called her Sweets.

"Hey, Tuts. How was your biology quiz? Did you pass?" Now, Lucas' nickname came to be in the 8th grade when Lila discovered that men in the 19th century called women "toots" as to get their attention. She simply called him that because she thought it was cute. "Ah, I made a 90 on it. Ms. Morris took ten points off because I was late." The younger Stark rolled his eyes as he finished his sentence.

Ms. Morris was a fun, but strict teacher who did not tolerate tardiness unless there was a very good reason. Lila liked her class because of the Kahoots they played.

"Hmm, well at least you passed. Now, Harry, what are you and Ned arguing about?" Lila asked as she turned her head to the brunette, who looked ready to scream in frustration.

"Okay. Lila, Gwen. Who's better? Captain America or Thor? And Gwen, this is serious. I see you rolling your eyes from here," Harry spoke before rushing out the last part.

The girls looked at each other then spoke simultaneously, "Captain America."

"Ha! In your face, Ned." Ned groaned in annoyance and turned towards the gloating teen. "They only chose him 'cause he's good looking." Gwen nodded her head in agreement while Lucas, Lila, and Peter laughed.

"You know, if we're talking about strength, Thor definitely wins," Lucas said, "I mean don't get me wrong. Steve is pretty cool, and I'm 97% sure he almost lifted Thor's hammer. Like, it moved an inch off the table and even Thor looked scared for a second. Nobody believes me, but I saw it. Anyway, I'm on team Thor, cause he can summon lighting and is a literal god. Steve is a 90 year old virgin with a dinner plate." Lucas laughed before taking a bite out of his pizza.

"It doesn't matter. The girls agreed with me, which is rare, so I'll take the win for this debate."

"Speaking of debates, how did it go?" Peter asked his sister. He felt bad he couldn't go to give her moral support, but he knew Gwen would take care of her. "We came second. I can't believe it. Second is the first to lose, you know." Gwen grumbled and she angrily ate one of Harry's fries.

"I'm sure you guys did great." Ned said before biting into his bologna sandwich. "Thanks, Ned." Lila smiled at her friend. Ned always managed to make her feel better.

"Hey, how is your dad? I heard he was doing a presentation at MIT." Although she and Lucas have been friends since the sixth grade, Lila has only met Tony Stark once. That was when Lucas had gotten into a fight with Flash Thompson, defending her after Flash had pushed her in the hallway at school. Lila may have pushed him first to make him stop pulling her hair, but that's not important. Tony had to pick him up from the front office after having a meeting with the principal, Flash's parents and Uncle Ben about a three day suspension for each of the kids.

"He's okay, I guess. He's stressed but when is he not, you know? I'm supposed to be going with him, so I won't be here tomorrow or Friday." Lucas worried about his dad. Contrary to popular belief, Tony Stark is not invincible. He's more hurt (more mentally and emotionally, than physically) than he cares to admit, and that scares Lucas. And with this new device he was showing off at the lecture showcasing his parents, Tony needed as much emotional support he could get, and Lucas would gladly be there to give it to him. He just wanted his dad to be okay.

"Okay. Well, tell him we said hello." Lila said as she gestured to the group of friends.

Lucas nodded. "I will."

The conversation drifted from Tony to a game of Would You Rather. As they joked around with their friends, neither  Lila nor Lucas could foresee the coming events that would tear families apart, but also bring people together.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Here's the first chapter! Let me know what you think and if you have any feedback. Thank you for reading and I hope you stay for what's in store!

P.S.
this is the first time I've ever done this so if it's trash, I'm sorry lol