Chapter 5

“Seriously?”

            “Yes!” Molly could almost hear Mary’s jaw drop through the phone.

            “And he actually accepted it?” Mary asked.

            Molly’s smile was wider than it had been in years. “Yes! I was there, I am pretty sure he accepted it.

            “That’s amazing!” Mary exclaimed.

            Molly fell back onto her bed. “I still can’t believe it.”

            “Are you sure you aren’t just taking the mickey out of me? I’m not quite sure I believe you.”

            “I’m sure!”

            Mary said, “And, did you get his number as well?”

            “Um,” Molly said. “No, but he did accept my number, so I felt like that was enough.”

            “You should have asked for his number!” Mary said.

            “He wouldn’t have given it to me, you know that, Mary.”

            “He might have.”

            Molly sighed. “I know he wouldn’t have.”

            “Well,” Mary said after a minute, “we’ll just have to see if he texts you or not.”

            A week later, Molly had been to see her father every day, she had done the shopping for her family twice, she had babysat her cousin once, and she had gotten no texts from Sherlock Holmes. She was beginning to think that Sherlock really hadn’t enjoyed talking to her, and was embarrassed that she had given him her number. What a dumb move.

            She avoided looking at him in the hall. Even when Mary stopped to talk to John, Molly went to class by herself just to avoid Sherlock, who was always at his best friend’s side. At just the thought that she ever believed that Sherlock enjoyed conversing with her, she blushed, gaining odd looks from classmates and questions from her nosy mother. Finally, Molly gave up hope of ever even speaking to Sherlock again.

            As she sat in room 203, her father’s hospital room, she received a text from an unknown number.

            Lobby.

            SH

            Molly tried to hold in her smile, but failed and began to grin as she made a wild guess at the identity of the sender of the text. She stood up and started towards the door, completely forgetting that she had her sick father and her mother in the room.

            “Where are you going?” Her mother asked.

            Molly stopped in front of the door and turned around. “A friend just texted saying they were in the lobby.”

            “Mary?”

            Molly looked down at her phone, and put it in her pocket. “Um, no. His name is Sherlock.” She blushed as both her mother and father stared at her.

            Her mother furrowed her brows. “Who?”

            Molly’s father let out a short laugh. “Oooh. Got a secret boyfriend, Molls?”