The art of dealing with a baby

Curare age: six months

Tom Riddle was able to hide his daughter from the world for half a year, but he couldn't keep her to himself anymore, even if he really wanted to. It didn't help that the new school year had started, and Severus had to go back to Hogwarts to teach.

Normally Tom would leave Curare at home with Nagini and the house elves but now he had to go to a meeting that would take over a week and he couldn't possibly leave his daughter without any grown up for that long. So, he had talked to Severus and then Dumbledore and they decided that Curare would stay with Snape while he was gone.

Dumbledore agreed because he really wanted to meet the newest air of the most noble and ancient house of Riddle and not to forget the heir of Slytherin. So, on a rainy Sunday morning, Tom wrapped Curare up and apparated to the gates of Hogwarts. Nagini slithered behind him as he made his way to the old castle.

As soon as he entered the school the students stared at him. They had all heard of him and of course his giant serpent who was watching everyone with her big yellow eyes. Tom had Curare pressed firmly against his chest, so she wasn't very visible. His cloak covered her body almost completely and it had the same colour as the one Curare was wearing so she blended in perfectly. Not to forget the halls were dimly lit and it was dark outside due to the rain.

Tom ignored all the stares from the students and walked straight to Dumbledore's office. He said the password and entered the office a few seconds later. He saw McGonagall, Snape and Dumbledore all sitting by the desk. As soon as they noticed him, they all got up.

"Ah Tom, lovely to see you again. I hope you three are well" Dumbledore said, eying Nagini with a conflicted expression. He wasn't too sure about the snake in Hogwarts but Nagini wouldn't leave Curare alone in a strange place.

Riddle gave him a nod and sat down on the fourth chair in the room. "Well don't make it exciting. I want to meet the newest Riddle" Minerva said with giddy voice. Tom just sighed and then finally moved his cloak so they could see Curare. "Oh, she's gorgeous" she gushed and stretched her hands out, but Tom turned her away quickly.

"What's her name? You have been very secretive about anything revolving her." The headmaster asked with a big grin.

"Her name is Curare Xenia Riddle. I will have to leave soon. I trust you will take care of her?"

"Of course. Severus will take her and if he can't for some reason I will look after her. Nagini will be able to stay with her at all times" Dumbledore answered. Tom nodded and gently gave the baby a kiss on her forehead before handing her to Snape. He already had all the stuff he needed in his room and got a very long briefing from Tom about how to take care of Curare.

Finally, Tom got up and went to leave. He hissed something to Nagini before turning around to walk to the door. In that moment Curare woke up and started crying. She managed to free one of her arms and stretched out a hand to her father.

He went to her and gently took her again. Then he said something to her in Paseltongue and she calmed down.

It was time for dinner. By now the news about Lord Riddle's visit with his daughter and somehow the students had found out that she would stay with Professor Snape for a while. This of course was the thing everyone talked about.

The Great Hall was even louder than normally, and everyone was waiting for Dumbledore to make an announcement. The whole hall went quiet as soon as he and Professor McGonagall entered the room. All the students just looked at them. It was very funny. Who would have thought that it would only take one child to get everyone to shut up?

Sadly, Dumbledore didn't say anything about the young Riddle child so for the first time in a long time. Almost every student was looking forward to potions.

Severus was in his chambers. He had eaten there and was feeding Curare while Nagini lay by the fire, basking in the warm glow of it.

After Curare's little breakdown when her father tried to leave, she had been very calm and easy. Of course, she had grown a lot since she was born but she was still too small. Even if she probably got better food than any other infant in the world. She was just smaller and frailer then unusual children.

As it was very late already Snape put her into the crib. A second later Nagini curled up around her. The crib in Hogwarts was bigger than the one in the Riddle mansion so Nagini could lie by her side.

To be honest Severus expected her to be difficult as this was her first night away from her home but as soon as Nagini hissed something in her ear Curare fell asleep.

"Well...that was easy" he said with a shocked expression before going to bed himself.

The next morning Snape stood in his classroom for his first lesson. Curare was in a small room behind the potion's classroom. It had a little hammock in it which was rocking slightly due to a charm. Severus had found out that babies basically just sleep or in Curare's case, also play with a giant serpent.

All he had to do was take care of her needs and he really did enjoy playing with the child. When the bell rang all of the students were on their seats. They wouldn't dare to be late when he was teaching. Especially Gryffindors. They always got the worst punishments.

"Today we will be brewing a sleeping potion. I don't expect any of you to do any good at it and everyone who doesn't manage it has to write a two-foot-long essay about it until tomorrow. Instructions are on page 32. You may begin now "He said in a monotone voice.

The students stared at him with a disappointed look on their face.

"Professor, we were...well we were hoping you would perhaps tell us about Lord Riddle's daught-" A Hufflepuff student asked with a shaky voice.

"NO... now get to work or it will be a four-foot essay for all of you"