I nodded into her shoulder and wrapped my arms around her.

"Thank you," I said. "I'm leaving after school, so don't wait up for me tonight."

The bed creaked as I stood up. I grabbed my bag and placed it in the corner of the room. My mom watched me silently while I scanned my room for my other essentials.

"Lucille?"

I snapped my head towards her and stood still in the corner of the room. "Yes?"

"I know I don't ask as often as I should, but have you been okay with..."

She trailed off her sentence, but I knew what she meant. I understood it was hard for her to talk about, but it was difficult for me not to know the answers.

"Yeah it's been fine. I've got it under control, don't worry."

She sighed and clasped her hands together. Nodding profusely and hands twitching, she gave me a nervous smile.

"Good. That's very good."

I nodded and silence fell through the air.

"Do you need a ride to school? Or is Marcus coming to get you today?"

"Marcus is coming," I replied. I took a look at my watch and groaned. "He actually should be outside now."

My backpack sagged on the floor and I quickly picked it up. I walked over to my long mirror and stared at my reflection deeply.

Dwelling on my appearance was not something I liked to do. The more I stared into mirrors, the more I would start to pick apart my flaws. I knew that beauty was fleeting but I couldn't help but want it for myself.

I walked out my bedroom door quickly and my mom followed me out. Within a few steps I met the fridge in the kitchen and frowned when I opened it up to see its contents.

"I'm sorry honey, I forgot to get groceries yesterday."

I plastered a fake smile and gave my mom one last hug. "It's fine. I'll eat something later."

She nodded and opened the door for me as I walked out.

In the distance I could see the black car speed up and slow down my street.

"He's here, I'll see you soon mom."

She nodded at me and quickly went back inside the house. The car came closer to the front of the apartment complex and slowed down.

"Let's go Luci! We don't have all day," Marcus yelled from his car.

I smiled and jogged up to the back door. Unlocking it, I jumped in and placed my backpack in the vacant seat.

Celia had reclined her seat and the skirt she was wearing rode up her thigh a bit. She sat quietly in the passenger seat next to Marcus and drew figure eights on her skirt.

I closed the door and put on my seat belt as Marcus began to drive away.

"You got work today?" He asked.

"No, I cancelled my shift," I replied.

He turned his back for a second and gave me a puzzled look. "You never miss work. Is everything okay?"

Marcus was always good at reading me. Most of the time it would be helpful but this time it was definitely not needed.

"Yeah, I just wasn't feeling too good so I'm just gonna stay home."

Celia suddenly perked up from her seat and turned her head back to glance me over.

"You're sick?"