Summer Rose...

But just like her own mother, Summer was now gone. Only this time, Yang knew what happened. She took a job to fight monsters far away and didn't come back. Even a little girl like Yang could figure out what happened. Her dad was still affected by it, barely eating, rarely sleeping, and until recently, never leaving the house. Her sister Ruby didn't seem to understand, she kept asking where her mom was and when she would be coming home.

Their father couldn't bring himself to explain what happened to her mother, only telling her that she was never coming back. Since then, Ruby slept with Yang for both comfort, and on the childish notion that she might disappear too.

"Did the air suddenly become more... inviting?" The Nuckelavee asked. The other grimm could feel it too and it was emanating from the sisters.

This universe was bringing back the feelings of the past. Had it not been for Weiss and Blake offering their comfort along with the looks of sympathy from NPR, the room would've made the grimm far more comfortable.

Seeing her little sister so sad made Yang double her efforts to discover more about her mother, not just for herself, but for Ruby and dad too.

They could never replace Summer, not in a million years. But if this map lead them to whom Yang hoped it would, she might find someone to help patch her family back up.

Hours had passed since Yang left the house. Her legs were cold and sore, bruises and cuts covered her small body, and her breathes was labored and heavy. But she had to go on.

Ruby mumbled and turned in the wagon behind her, but otherwise stayed asleep. Yang could have left Ruby at the house, but she justified bringing her with wanting her to be there when they found her first mom.

Yang could already see it. They'd find her mom, she'd give Yang and Ruby a great big hug and take them back home where she'd make-up with dad and they would live happily ever after. The two little girls would have a mom again, Yang would know why she left her with dad, and dad wouldn't be sad and lonely anymore.

"Jeez, for a couple of bright brats, you've sure got some angsty backgrounds." Deathstalker hummed. "Yet somehow Blake over there usually draws us in a bit more."

"Excuse me?" Blake asked incredulously.

"Oddly enough, Blake has the second least angst of a background only beaten by Pyrrha."

Pyrrha look up quizzically. "Angst?"

"Sad backstories. Surprisingly, Nora and Ren have it the worst."

Deathstalker looked to them and grumbled under her breath. "Wish they'd act like it..."

'We're gonna be a big happy family again, Ruby.' Thought Yang as she continued to trek through the cold, miserable day. 'Just a little further.'

She pulled out the map to make sure they were still on the right path. They were. Satisfied, she shoved the piece of paper back into her light jacket. Yang hadn't dressed nearly as warmly as she should have and the harsh winter cold was making her pay for her negligence. Ruby was fine however, wrapped up warmly in the red cloak her mother made her just before leaving for her last job.

Yang wasn't letting the cold stop her from finding her mom. She had come too close to let something like bad weather stop her now.

Finally, after hours and hours of walking, they made it. They finally reached their destination.

It was an old barn, worn down and abandoned. Boards were missing, cobwebs decorated the empty windows, a shudder held in by single bolt swung limply in the breeze, and the barn doors were broken and cast to the side.