Part 7: A Dinner

Standing in her bedroom, Hermione goes through all her dresses for her romantic dinner with Gavin tonight.

It's been a good while since they have had time to be alone and relax, so this is beyond needed at this point.

His work schedule had picked up over the last year and a half after his promotion; often causing him to have to stay late at the hospital or go into work early to have conference meetings.

She doesn't bug him about it or nag him or complain.

Mostly because he has given her the same courtesy when she has to pull an all nighter to discuss new bills and go over work cases.

Bzzzzz.....Bzzzzz....Bzzzzz....

"Hi baby- are you on your way?" She asks as she chooses a maroon sundress.

"About tonight, Babe...."

"You can't come. Can you?" She tries not to sound utterly demolished- but it still cracks through.

"I'm so sorry. I just had a two year old come in with Child Services. Long story short- I have a surgery I have to attend too."

"I understand. I hope everything goes well."

"Yeah, me too. Listen, I gotta go: they just arrived." He says.

"I love you."

"Love you too. See you later." He hangs up the phone and Hermione sits on the bed- a few tears coming to her eyes.

How many dates has he canceled last minute?

How many times had she shown up and he hasn't because of some emergency?

Too many to count.

She fears this will be their life.

That she will be home with the kids and have to explain why Daddy is not going to make it to dinner. Or why Daddy says happy birthday over the phone because he has to work late again.

She loves Gavin. Truly, she does.

She's just tired of being alone all the time. She's tired of the excuses and the absences. When they're married, she'll tell him that. There are other pediatric doctors and surgeons in that hospital that can tend to the patients when he punches out at the end of the day. It doesn't always have to fall on him.

***

"Full house tonight." Ashley says as she cleans a glass. "How was your date?"

"What?"

"With your friend...who's a girl. How was your date?"

"It wasn't a date."

"Then why did you take a blanket and basket and that weird drink you like so much?" She calls him out on it and he rolls his eyes.

"It was just a picnic. Nothing more than that."

"Sure and you didn't come back with your hair messed up and a smile on your face with those dreamy eyes?"

"Rodney, you have very little morals- will you hit her for me?" He asks as he goes up to a biker and takes out a notepad. "Hi, Davis- what'll it be tonight?"

"Can I get fish and chips and a beer."

"Draft?"

"Whatever you got that's good. Haha, I'm not picky- you know that."  The big burly guy states and Draco grins and takes off to fill the the order.

The doorbell rings and Draco turns and furrows his brows.

"The fuck is he doing here?" Lowly growling in his throat, he tightens his grip on his Stein so tight that it shatters in his hand- which is part because of his grip and part because of  his over flow of magical output.