Chapter 8.1

A/N: so, there's a content warning at the bottom, in bold. Slide right past it if you don't want to be spoilered, read it if you have any concerns

The memory of waking up beside Henry like that began to fade, with time. Over the next few days, Gabriel settled into a routine that wasn't dissimilar to the one he'd had before everything had happened.

Sawyer encouraged him to practice almost as much as Henry had. Though the way he did it was softer that Henry's disappointed glare. He'd allowed him time to grieve for a few days without any pressure or expectation, which Gabriel appreciated immeasurably. And when he did remind him to keep working, that he needed to distract himself from negative thoughts, he did it with a gentle hand on Gabriel's shoulder, giving him the casual contact that he was only now realizing had been absent for so long.

Another thing Sawyer did was encourage Gabriel in all of his instruments, not just the cello. Of course, it was apparent that Sawyer didn't have the same level of knowledge Henry had, not about this, but Gabriel was simply grateful to have that sneering expectation gone, and to be able to do it because he loved it, not because of what it could do for them.

Missing that single point of conflict there had been between him and Henry somehow made him feel lighter than he'd even thought was possible just a few short days earlier. Now, each day after practicing, he'd clean the apartment. Sawyer didn't ask him to, but he did thank him when he arrived home. And he actually seemed to notice what Gabriel had done, in a way Henry never had. Henry only ever said something if Gabriel hadn't done one of his chores. It was strange, to feel seen that way. Sawyer was good at seeing him in a way he'd never had.

"Would you like pancakes for breakfast?" he asked one morning, feeling a new level of brightness that he'd decided not to try to pretend wasn't there, and he was rewarded with a warm smile from Sawyer.

"Yes please, darling. I like blueberries."

"Oh, I don't think there are any. I put them in that smoothie for you yesterday."

"Well, that's okay. You can pick some up when you get groceries. I'll just have plain."

Gabriel eagerly set to work mixing the batter. Sawyer watched him, and it made him flush unexpectedly. Sawyer moved closer, and Gabriel felt himself tense, though he tried not to show it. He knew Sawyer wanted him. He hadn't hidden it, though he had kept a certain distance, only giving Gabriel occasional peeks at the chance for physical closeness. Gabriel was sure it wasn't intentional, but those teasing touches were starting to drive him to distraction, like now, when Sawyer coming close made him clench, and his head swim; unsure whether he wanted to lean into or away from the promise.

The decision he needed to make wasn't going to go away, though. Was, in fact, becoming more urgent.

He could back away – leave. Use the money Henry had left him and head out on his own. But he'd never been on his own, and just the thought made his jaw tighten; in fear, in sadness. Or he could give in. And would it be really giving in? He was attracted to Sawyer. And Sawyer had suggested things, before, that made something dark and delicious rise in his belly. He was a future filled with promise and pleasure.

Sawyer came closer, not touching, but almost.

"Oh dear, darling. Have you never made pancakes? What lumpy batter."

"I'm sorry. I was distracted."

"Oh? You must be very easily distracted. Poor, simple thing, aren't you?"