7 ~ Duke of Cowborough

Start from the beginning

Anna laughed at Evelyn's dramatics. "It may be a bit tight but it will do for now. Regardless, it looks pretty on you. Now, how should I do your hair?" Anna asked while placing Evelyn's flour-covered clothes in a basket.

"I think it's fine how it is."

Anna cocked her eyebrow as her eyes scanned over Evelyn's waves that hung down her back with only part of it clipped back. Evelyn pulled her hair around to fall over her chest instead as she ran her fingers through it.

"I don't know how Lady Grantham will feel about that. It's a Duke, after all, you know she's going to be picky about everything."

"I'm feeling the down look." Evelyn winked.

Anna sighed. "Ok, but if she blames me you better speak up. I'll leave you to finish, please don't be the last one to walk out as usual."

Evelyn smiled as she was left alone to look at herself in the mirror. She pursed her lips as she ran her hands over her waist once more, taking in her appearance. She never really paid much attention to the way she looked or dressed - not until recently anyway. Evelyn grew up quite scrawny and she was often teased by her cousins for it; however, shortly after she turned 16 she quickly grew out of the scrawny phase. Cora often told her how much her figure reminded her of her mother's with her shorter stature and hourglass shape, though Evelyn often found herself feeling self-conscious considering her cousins were tall and slim.

A knock on her door pulled her from her thoughts as Sybil peaked in, Evelyn smiled at her through the mirror.

"Are you ready to come down?"

"I suppose."

----------------------

The staff line up outside of the doors of Downton as a blue car approached the house, the Crawley family, with Evelyn and Isis, made their way out the doors when the car stopped. William opened the car door to allow the Duke to step out. Evelyn scanned over him and twisted her nose slightly, she expected someone a bit more handsome.

Sybil nudged her and bit her lip to keep from laughing. "Your disgust is very obvious, stop it." Evelyn grinned and returned her face to just pure boredom.

Robert is the first to approach the Duke, followed by Cora as the girls stood behind.

"Welcome to Downton." Robert greeted with a warm smile. As the Duke's eyes look down the line of the staff, the ladies curtsy and the men bow their heads to him.

The Duke took Cora's hand and smiled. "Not at all, Duke. I'm delighted you could spare the. You know my daughter, Mary, of course." Cora gestured to the girls behind her.

"Of course, Lady Mary." He smiled and her.

"And Edith, but I don't believe you've met my youngest, Sybil."

"Ah, Lady Sybil." He stepped towards Sybil to shake her hand.

"How do you do?"

"And this is Evelyn, our niece."

He looked to Evelyn, who stood next to Sybil, and took her hand. His brows furrowed as if he recognized her name. "Ah...Lady Evelyn, a pleasure to meet you." Evelyn nodded and smiled.

Cora began to lead the party inside. "Come on in, you must be worn out."

The Duke began to follow but stopped abruptly. "Oh, Lady Grantham, I have a confession to make, which I hope won't cause too much bother. My man was taken ill just as I was leaving, so..."

"Oh, well, that won't be a problem, will it Carson?" Robert gestured to Carson.

"Certainly not. I shall look after His Grace myself." Carson spoke proudly.