Chapter One: Breakfast with the Kensingtons

Love is convenient, wealth is desirable. That is what Violet Kensington's mother preached at breakfast every morning. She was certain her daughters would marry well and it soon became her life's obsession once they turned of age. The dowry of each girl was prepared at birth and would be a handsome find for any prospective suitor. Violet's father rather feared losing his children to marriage and having them spread out across the countryside. He sat torn with his emotions as he inspected his plate of eggs and fruit. "You seek to rob me of all I hold dear in this world my love. Pray, what beauty shall I look upon when my angels are no longer under one roof?" "You'll be quite content with your aviary" . "Papa, I shall never live more than a day's journey from you. Despite what you wish mama, I shall marry for love. A great man is worth more than a petty shilling."

"You say that now Alice, but the world is evermore a cruel place for the poor and destitute."

"Well I may never marry, what do you think of that mama?" "Don't be foolish, Mary you're already disadvantaged as a woman, don't make your life any harder than it needs to be." Two young boys giggled in amusement across the table.

"I declare, this conversation is far too in depth for this early hour. Girls, you are excused to pursue your daily delights. Elizabeth my dear wife, do stop depressing our children, it's gloomy enough with all this rain." And indeed the rain fell; washing away any opportunity for a morning stalk. The Kensington estate stood in the peaceful hills of southwest England. It housed Lord Kensington, her ladyship Mrs. Kensington and their brood of six children; Violet, Scarlett, Mary, Alice, Peter and Jonathan. The manor had a fine pedigree with seven generations housed under its roof. It was an ideal location to raise a traditional family, untouched by the changing centuries. It was all his Lordship could hope for to conserve his legacy, as will be the duty of his sons when he no longer walks along the great halls. Wiping apple crumble from his chin, he motioned for the footmen to begin clearing the table. "Boys, the rain shall stop before long and when it does we shall shoot pheasant. But for now you have schooling with your governess." Mary the youngest of his daughters reappeared in the breakfast room, out of breath and waving a sealed envelope in her hand. "It's here Papa, it's here at long last!" "What on Earth are you referring to dearest?"

"The Sussex Spring Ball, Papa, oh please may I go with the others, you must let me, I'm of age soon."

"Ah yes, I'm an old fool for forgetting such an important thing to the fair ladies. Fetch your sisters, order your dresses, your mother will present you."

"I love you Papa!" she exclaimed, planting a dozen kisses on his cheek.

"Yes, well this surely confirms it."

Violet stood silently in the doorway staring at the dreaded delivery. Just as the seal of the envelope had been broken so too would her youth and innocence. Like her mother, she would be forced into a loveless marriage, become fat and un-wanting, sentenced to a lifetime of sipping tea and eating pastries with other betrothed tarts.

"Violet, have you something to tell me? You look a fright."

"Papa, must I attend the ball?"

"Dearest, you know we can't insult the McArthur's hospitality. Where else can I showcase my favourite daughter?"

"Showcase? You mean barter. You plan to parade me past every eligible bachelor in England. Papa, really you're worse than mama!"

"Your mother wants what is best for you. For heaven's sake it's a party invitation not a death warrant."

"For me Papa, it very well may be."

"Cease the dramatics, marriage is a blessing."

"Are you attempting to reassure me papa or yourself?" "Go now and join your sisters. I can already hear their insufferable clucking."

Violet walked defeatedly towards the grand hall. She was nearly to the entrance when she felt a hand take a strong hold of her wrist.

"When I am no longer on this Earth, you must be taken care of. Do not desire a life of solitude. Honor your father and do your duty." he pleaded, placing the invitation firmly in her hand.

"...............Yes, Papa.