11: A Word, Please

Well they found us, although not compliant.

"We've got to save Will," said Elizabeth for the fifth time.

"No," was the governor's blunt answer. "You're safe now. We will return to Port Royal immediately, not go gallivanting after pirates."

"Then we condemn him to death," You spoke up.

The governor faced you. "The boy's fate is regrettable, but so is his decision to engage in piracy, as is yours Miss Adney."

"To rescue me, to prevent anything from happening to me," exclaimed Elizabeth.

"If I may be so bold as to interject my professional opinion," said Jack

"As unprofessional as it may be," you mumbled.

"The Pearl was listing after the battle," continued Jack "It's very unlikely she'll be able to make good time. Think about it. The Black Pearl. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate. How can you pass that up?"

"By remembering that I serve others, not only myself," replied Norrington calmly.

"Norrington I beg you please." He looked at you. You knew he was about to give in. Then Elizabeth said:

"For me. As a wedding gift."

Your heart dropped. As a wedding gift. Norrington didn't even look at Elizabeth, just at you. You nodded and Norrington subtly shook his head.

"Does this mean you are accepting the Commodore's proposal?" asked an excited Governor.

"I am," answered Elizabeth.

"A wedding! I love weddings, drinks all around." Jack looked at Norrington and held up his wrists "I know, clamp him in irons, right?"

Norrington broke eye contact with you and said, "Mr. Sparrow, you will accompany these fine men to the helm and provide us with a bearing to Isla de Muerta. You will then spend the rest of the voyage contemplating all the meanings of the phrase "silent as the grave. Do I make myself clear?"

"Inescapably clear."

Elizabeth went to get dressed, the governor with her, and you were going to follow when Norirington caught your wrist. "A word, please."

You nodded and followed him into the captains quarters. He closed the door behind him.

"Y/N." His hand cupped your cheek and you put your hand over his.

"James." You hugged him and he kissed your forehead. He let go of you.

"I love you, you know that. Despite the situation you are still my closest friend." He started pacing.

"James, we can't stay friends and you know that. It'll end in disaster." you stopped him and he looked down at you.

"I can't just let you go," he sounded desperate. For an emotionless man he really could pour a lot out.

"We've had this conversation before."

"Then we'll have it again," he said, raising his voice.

"Don't talk to me like that Norrington!" Your face was an inch from his. You could feel his breath and your lips and he looked down at them.

"May I?"

You hesitated. Would you allow him to? It couldn't hurt...

"You may." He kissed you and you kissed him back. A warm feeling grew inside of you, begging you for more. But you knew better.  "I love you," you whispered. "But we can't do this. James you are engaged!"

"I know."

"Then act like it." He nodded but kissed you again. You didn't want to stop, feeling his strong hands holding you tightly. But you pulled away. "I should go, they'll be looking for me. James, stay loyal to Elizabeth, this can't happen again."

He nodded again and hugged you. You stayed like that for a long time.