Informative Outline Speech

Grace Crilly

Topic: Student Athlete
Specific Purpose: To inform the audience on the advantages of being a student athlete
Central Idea: the advantages of being a student athlete successfully
Organizational Pattern: Topical

I.  Introduction (Write out word for word.)
Have you ever given up on a dream or goal that you regret that you never accomplished? Do you want to look back on your life knowing you succeeded at something that can make you feel proud in order to move forward? There's always been a moment where anyone has had to go through a struggle like taking a hard math class, getting your first job, participating in several activities, living on your own, and mourning over the death of a loved one. You might feel that you can't do anything about it, but you can. What you can do on how to improve yourself about it is what matters. The advantages of being a student athlete is the support you get from your teammates and the support you get for academics, that you're able to learn on how to manage yourself.

Transition: The most important thing for myself to know is that I wasn't alone.

II. Body.
A- Achieving something you want for yourself isn't easy: the stress wasn't easy.
I wasn't the only one going through the stress of being a student athlete, my teammates supported me as I did the same for them. I participated in three sports.
All of us had to go through the pressure of schoolwork on top of being an athlete.

B- School was the hardest part for me: it's even harder when you have a disability.
I Have Mosaic Down Syndrome, I've been in special education classes almost every year in school. I have issues like reading comprehension, because of this I usually have to get instructions repeated. So I would be able to understand at my own pace.
Special education classes I was in: read 180 and my math classes all three years. I was able to get help and I learned from this knowing how I can manage it on my own.

C- There were moments where I wanted to give up:
Even though I felt like I knew what I was doing, I had my moments where I doubted myself and sometimes I had thought that I didn't want to do it anymore. One of my teammates told me she had decided not to continue in order to focus on school, this made myself think to myself if I should quit. "Junior and Senior year are the hardest years to go through in high school."
Even if it was stressful, I did it anyway and I don't regret it at all. It was worth every late and morning practice and it was worth all the pain. One of my favorite gymnasts, Gabby Douglas has the same attitude, "My message is to never quit, never give up. When you have a little trouble here and there, just keep fighting. In the end, it will pay off." 

D- Quitting isn't the answer, in the end what mattered more is that I was able to accomplish something that made me feel I had a purpose: the choices you make as a teammate and yourself affects everything.
Quitting would mean that I wouldn't be just giving up on myself but on my teammates. I don't believe in giving up and I certainly don't believe in giving up on other people. For the fact I didn't quit, I received many awards because of this: Golden Mustang award, student service award, senior recognition award, all academic senior athlete award, and seven semester on the honor roll award. My hard work in school and sports paid off in the end. Even though it was really stressful, it was worth it.
                                                                                      Transition: Being a student athlete helped myself with meeting new people, forming new friendships and because of those friendships I learned a lot of new perspectives on life because of them. My friends were the ones that helped me to be a successful student, athlete and a friend.

III. Conclusion (Write out word for word.)
What I learned from this experience is that if you want something you go get it, to not let anyone get in my way to succeed at something I want. When I first saw the wall of students who received the golden mustang award in the past, I wanted nothing more to be one of those students. When I left that school, I became one of those students.

Works Cited

Popsugar.com Lizzie Fuhr August 3rd, 2012

Teammate 2016 Sophomore year in high school