22

"He's a psychopath

"He's a psychopath. He's capable of anything. Simon is innocent in all of this. The only reason Valentine took him captive is because I care about him." Clary ranted, passing her hand through her hair as Sarah stood by her side, reeling from what happened.

Luke and Jace made their appearance, seeing the women with no idea what's going on, "Hey. All the prisoners are either dead or gone. No sign of Cleophas."

Jace seemed to detect the distress that was on the redhead's face, "What's going on?"

"Valentine took Simon." Sarah said, glancing at Clary as the blonde Shadowhunter pulled her into his arms, "Hey, it's gonna be okay."

Clary's phone rang, making the couple pull away from each other. She reached into her pocket, pulling her phone out to see a video call from Simon; the redhead answered; looking in horror, Simon tied up in a chair with tape over his mouth.

Valentine seemed to have joined the call too, sitting beside Simon, "Hello, Clarissa. I wish we were chatting under more civilized circumstances, but I'm afraid I've run out of options."

"Let Simon go."

"Absolutely. Just as soon as you come back to the Institute, I need you to activate the Sword for me."

"That will never happen."

"Oh, but I think it will. Because if you don't show up within the hour... Your vampire boyfriend here is going to die a death I wouldn't wish upon anyone." He threatened before ending the call instantly, not giving the redhead any time to answer.

Clary shook her head, clenching her jaw in determination about to move when Sarah held her back, "Where do you think you're going?"

"To get Simon."

"One touch to the Soul Sword, and the whole downworld will be gone, including your boyfriend and mine. So you're not going anywhere near that institute. "Sarah stated, clasping the impulsive redhead's arm.

"No, Valentine needs an energy source. He needs lightning." Clary argued with a frown on her face; of course, she didn't need anyone to tell her about the consequences that'll follow once she touches the soul sword.

"He's got it. Every Institute is powered by an angelic power core." Luke intervened, backing the brunette up.

"We're taking you to Magnus. He can protect you." Sarah said, glancing at everyone in the room to make sure that they all agree with her, which they did except for the red Shadowhunter, "No, I don't need to be protected. I need to save Simon."

"The Downworld knows that you're the key to activating that Sword. They want you dead." Luke stated, agreeing with everything the brunette just said to Clary, "I can save Simon." Jace intervened, but Clary shook her head.

"Doesn't work that way. If I'm not the one who shows up, Valentine is gonna kill him."

The entire group looked at each other, trying to think over a plan to save the day, when they heard a hoarse voice calling out to them, "Wait..." The voice called out weakly.