Chapter 18 Reunion

Start from the beginning

The general was shocked at the response, which slowed his own. "Your Imperial Majesty, I think it is unwise to invite the Northerners to the event."

"And why is that, General Shao?"

"It is for your safety. They might take this opportunity to harm you, Your Imperial Majesty."

"I will have the lieutenant accompany me. I believe he is the finest soldier you have?"

"Yes, of course."

"Then, there you have it."

"I could also accompany you, Your Imperial Majesty."

"There's no need for that, General Shao. I appreciate your assistance all these years at the Annual Hunt, but I think it has come to a time for you to step down. Treat that day as your personal rest day, General Shao. And besides, it might not sit well with the Empress Mother if I have two of the highest-ranking military officers all to myself."

General Shao pursed his lips. "Thank you for your consideration, Your Imperial Majesty. Given your track record in archery, there won't be any challenge to claim victory in your first-ever Annual Hunt."

"I'm humbled that you think so. However, I hear that there are many competent archers among the ministers. Besides, who's to say that the winner won't be one of the Northerners? But thank you, your good wishes are much appreciated."

*******

"ARGH!" A man's voice was heard from his room as he sent everything on his table crashing into the floor.

The commotion jolted those who were standing outside the room in the small cobblestoned courtyard like children who were waiting to be punished.

"Where is General Shao?!" The man in the room screamed.

"Your Majesty, he is currently in the palace trying to sort things out with the emperor." Minister Hu took charge and replied.

"Lee Ye An! I want to see her dead by the end of this."

A few of the new members at the back of the group started to whisper in astonishment to each other at the female pronoun that the man had chosen to use for the emperor. "Her?"

Minister Hu carried on. "Your Majesty, if I may? Even if the war is a no-go now, I feel that the emperor has opened up an easier path for us. If General Shao couldn't solve things with the emperor and retract the decision to cease the war, with the Northerners entering the Annual Hunt, it would be the perfect time to execute an assassination and cause a public uproar."

The man in the room went quiet for a moment before laughter emanated from the silent room. "Minister Hu, you're a genius!"

Minister Hu cracked a rare smile at the compliment. "And even if, and I believe that's only a tiny possibility, that the assassination goes haywire, the event would have been thrown into a mess that will lead to animosity between the two countries which would definitely incite war."