Chapter 12

Bret's POV

It's like I'm floating on the darkness. Not like on air or water but something thicker and harder to move in. How I feel is indescribable. Half of me feel incredible like being coated in gold. The other half of me wants to rip every lim from my body. Strange right? It feels like I've been down here forever.

Clara's POV

I think I feel...normal. It's hard to explain. Seeing how I'm only half-alive, it would be hard to understand. It probably sounds like nonsense... but I think I can see Bret

Bret's POV

It must be my imagination because I can see Clara. I use my legs and run across the darkness, she's running to. This would to be the corniest scene ever if Clara hadn't smashed into something. I stretch my hand out to help her up but my hand it's something. I hit it again. It's clear like glass but it's 's hard like a diamond. I bang my fists against it as she stands up.

"CLARA!" I shout

"Ouch, no need to yell," she says rubbing her ears.

"Are you...here?" I ask

"No! I'm at a pickle warehouse in Chicago," she says sarcastically

"Sorry...where are we anyways?" I ask

"I don't know," she says quietly

"How'd you get here?" I ask

"Hey, what's with the 21 questions?"

"Sorry I'm just...." I trail off

"I think I'm in New York,"  she says

Then it hit's me like rock. The Gun. The bullet. Newton. Clara. The e-mail. Everything comes back in flashes.

"Clara! What were you Marked?" I exclaim

"What? Oh! I was Marked Gifted," she says. That means everything was true. At least whatever Newton said

"What were you," she says perking up

"Choice," I sigh. I'm glad to have Clara here but it's almost humiliating to have be Marked higher than me.

"Yeah! That means mother and father will be forced to reproduce,"  she cries. It's true though. If your children are Marked higher than you are you are forced to have more kids. If they are Marked the same, it's optional. If they are Marked lower than you, you are forbidden from having anymore kids. If you even 'accidentally' have them the punishment can be harsh.

"Is that all you care about? our non-existant sibling?" I ask

"Soon to be existant and yes, yes it is," she smiles her hands akimbo. Even though were miles apart and talking to each other in dream. How could I not know she'd try to find the bright side in this situation.

"i push forwards and feel the glass shatter around us. I scoop Clara into my arms and hug her. Tears come to my eyes I've found my sister, and least for now and I will find her again.

I feel the darkness begin to swirl around me. It feels like a whirlpool trying to suck me back into reality.

"Clara, I'll find you again. I promise," I swear as the darkness begins pull me away. She grabs my wrist but after a swift nod, I pry myself free and float back into my mind.

Clara's POV

I can still feel Bret's body against mine (but not in a creepy way). I hadn't known how much I had missed him until...whatever time it is right now. He swore he'd find me before he disappeared but why did the wall break for him? And why am I summerizing what what just happened? Wait oh-no! I'm going crazy!

I mean only crazy people summerize what just happened to them. Corn Dogs...this can't be happening yet. I mean I don't even own a cat yet much less the three to be considered a crazy cat lady.

I begin to scream cry and thrash about but nothing happens I am beginning to wonder if I'll get out of this. I lean back and float on the darkness that runs on forever. I remember the previous events like a crazy person does, looking back on the ear-splitting cry from mark and Jose as I fall to the ground in pain. out of the corner I see Diandra's horrified facce as her past rewinds itself.

A wave of the cool darkness washes over me. I feel the darkness begin to stir, throwing me out of it's devilish clutches. But instead of fighting it like Bret did I relax myself and just watch as I crash into reality.