Hysteria

TW; derealization?

"Hello?" Gerard croaked out, instantly noticing how his throat felt like a desert that had gone months and months without a single drop of rain. He peeled his eyes open, only to be met by darkness.
He couldn't move. He was frozen in place-- all he could do was speak, yet even that was not useful. Nobody seemed to be around, so was screaming at the top of his lungs necessary?

"Is anybody there-?" He called out into vast nothingness, desperate for some explanation. He swore that he had fallen asleep in his bed, in the comfort of his own home, and now he was... wherever this place was.
Then, Gerard became painfully aware of his surroundings, starting to panic more and more with every passing moment. He felt sand touching his bare arms, he felt the cold evening wind move around him, he could hear the ear-splitting sounds of waves crashing against rocks, and... a voice?

"Hey! Hey, what are you doing here? Who are you?" It exclaimed, making Gerard furrow his eyebrows in confusion.
It sounded like somebody his age - and, he was 11 - so, a kid.

Gerard squirmed on the ground for a moment before his body finally obliged and his limbs began to move again. His head lolled to the side, in the direction that the voice had seemingly come from, setting his gaze on a boy with short, somewhat spiky ebony hair, a few strands hanging in front of his eyes. The moon shone down on him, giving the stranger a faint, angelic glow. His hair reminded him of the night sky- dark, yet littered with beautiful, bright stars. The moon gave it a small shine, hence the 'stars'.
The latter sat down in front of him, in a lotus position, tilting his head to the side curiously.

"I haven't seen anyone else here in ages." He said out of nowhere, reaching his hand out to poke Gerard in an attempt to check if he was truly there - only for his hand to be smacked away.

Gerard frowned, a worried expression flashing across his soft, childlike features. "What do you mean? This.. this is a beach, isn't it? It's fall, this place was packed with people, just half a month ago."

"Oh- you.. Right. I think I owe you an explanation about this whole thing, don't I?" He chuckled awkwardly, an attempt to thin out the tension between them. Gerard nodded, propping himself up on his elbows to look at the stranger properly.

He pursed his lips into a thin line, staring at the other suspiciously, making him look down. "Yeah, you do." He nodded. "Go on."

"Well- Uhm, first of all, don't get weirded out, okay?" He started, holding his hands up in some form of reassurance. "So- this is probably a dream. I've been having this same one since I was six, like every month, but now I get it every night. You aren't even real for all I know, my mind probably just made you up-" He explained, fiddling with his hands nervously.

"I- Okay..?" Gerard muttered, trying to understand, but to no avail. "Also, for your information, I am very much real."

"That's what a fake person would say," He replied boldly, raising an eyebrow at him, almost challengingly. "You're sure my mind didn't just make you up so I can entertain myself? One hundred percent?"

"Positive."

-{|}-

"No, Frank, Frank! Get off!" Gerard screeched, bustling with laughter. He held his sides, attempting to kick Frank off of him. Lightly.

Frank just grinned and continued to tickle his friend, his cheeks starting to hurt from smiling too much. After a few moments, he stilled his motions, giggling loudly. "You're lucky this time. Happy birthday." He said, lowering his voice to the usually soft tone he spoke in.

Gerard inhaled deeply, attempting to regain his breath. "Thanks, Frank." He nodded, "Finally fourteen, right? It doesn't feel any different if I'm bein' honest." he added with a shrug, crossing his legs where he sat.

"At least you get to be fourteen. I'm still stuck at thirteen, it's so.. boring? Whatever, though." Frank complained with a deep sigh, playing with the sand that sat underneath him.

"Well, I can't exactly help you there." Gerard shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest, shivering lightly. "Wow, I haven't felt cold here in eons. It's never really been a problem." He whispered, clearly over-exaggerating a little.

"Happens," Frank stated with an amused tone to his voice, clearly not cold at all. He looked over to the ocean, seeing a faint, white border by the horizon, meaning the sun was on its way. "Gerard." He spoke up, trying to get his friend's attention.

Gerard perked up and looked at him, before glancing over to where he was now pointing to. "Oh.. time flew by so quickly today." He frowned, furrowing his eyebrows as he thought back to the start of the dream. "It felt like an hour, tops." He added with a sigh, turning back to face Frank sadly.

"Yeah," Frank murmured, the sand he held in his hand slipping through the spaces in between his fingers swiftly. "Well, it is what it is. I'll see you tomorrow then?" He said, though it sounded more like a question, and if it were--they couldn't really.. not see each other every night.

Literally.

The dreams were there every night, unless they didn't go to sleep, that is.

Gerard nodded swiftly and stood up, dusting off his pants to get rid of any sand that lingered on the fabric. "Always." He confirmed with a smile, waiting for the top of the sun to peek over the sea, which meant that it was finally morning.

"Until we meet again, huh?" Frank joked lightly, emitting a small chuckle as he raised his hand, his fingers curling in a wave. "Bye, Gee."

"Bye, Frankie." The older boy replied, the ghost of a smile atop his lips as he slowly faded away, dreading the thought of having to face reality for another day..

whew. i wrote this a few months ago for school and then gave up on it,,, so here it is !