twenty four - you make me strong

Start from the beginning

Liam's head snapped up, relief flashing over his face when he noticed Louis and Harry. "Your father's house, and then we're fanning out!" he shouted back. "Zayn's already there!"

"I'm dropping Harry at the infirmary, and then I'll head that way," Louis responded, squeezing Harry's arm reassuringly as he felt the omega's fear through their bond. He cocked his head in the direction of the main square, instructing Liam firmly, "Go on!"

Liam gave a clipped nod, then hurried in the opposite direction. Harry tugged on Louis's arm, pulling him toward the infirmary, and Louis didn't hesitate to take the lead again, guiding them as they wove their way through the chaos.

He suddenly slammed Harry back against the wall of a building, shielding his omega's body with his own as another explosion rang out across the street. Harry squeezed his eyes shut, and Louis scanned the younger boy's face with worried blue eyes. "Alright?"

Harry shuddered, but he nodded, pressing himself against Louis's chest for both comfort and protection. "What are they even trying to do?"

"I don't know," Louis replied honestly, wrapping his arm securely around Harry as they took the last few steps toward the infirmary. He pushed the omega in the door before him, glancing back at the tumultuous street once more before he slammed the door.

The silence inside of the infirmary seemed uncanny, the sounds of the violence and explosions just outside muffled by the thick walls. They both exhaled deeply, and Harry tangled their fingers together, absorbing the peace for one more stolen moment before it was gone again.

"Oh, thank God you're here," Niall gushed as he ran into the front room, pulling Harry in for a quick hug. "I have wounded soldiers piling back there, and some of them could really use a bit of that magic touch of yours," he said, raising his eyebrows to emphasize his not-so-subtle message. "I was really hoping you would show up. I already pulled a curtain to give you some privacy while you're working."

"I'll be right there," Harry promised before turning back toward his alpha.

The Irish boy nodded, his face shining with understanding. He gave Louis's shoulder an encouraging squeeze before hurrying into the back room.

Louis exhaled deeply, just observing his gorgeous mate for a moment. It had only been a week since they moved in together, and already, the world had descended into total chaos. Was it too much to ask for a simple life together? Peace, love, and a family of their own?

"Listen to me," he said solemnly, framing Harry's face with his hands. "I just got you back, and I will not lose you again."

"You won't," the younger boy promised, holding eye contact with his alpha. "I'll be right here the whole time. I'll be safe."

"I need you to be safe and smart." Louis's face softened for a moment, and the corners of his lips tugged upward into a small smile, his thumb gently caressing the fine rise of Harry's cheekbone. "My smart omega, aren't you?"

Harry flushed a deep red, but he nodded, and then he surged forward to press his lips against Louis's own. The alpha gasped in surprise, but he recovered quickly; holding the younger boy still with a strong grip on the back of his neck, he licked possessively into the heat of Harry's mouth -- like he needed to keep the sweet taste of his omega on his tongue while he was gone.

"Don't leave the infirmary," Louis ordered seriously when he pulled back, all tenderness gone from his tone. "I'll be back to get you when this is all over."

"Yes, alpha." Harry had an urge to roll his eyes, but he refrained; he secretly loved when Louis fussed over him like this.

Louis raised his eyebrows, knowing all too well that Harry had never been one for following directions (it was one of the things he loved most about the omega, even if he spent most of his time worried sick about him). "Promise me."