I helped him pull over a chair, adjusting it so he'd be able to kneel on it and help me mix everything together. I walked him through how to make pancakes, his eyes widening as I showed him how everything mixed together. Jake and Chloe ran through the kitchen behind us, Chloe rambling about something Jake took from her, all the while Jake was laughing and taunting her. Kristy said something I couldn't hear from the living room, and I chuckled as I watched them all run around, missing the chaos while I was at school.

"What do we do next?"

"Well next, we add the wet ingredients."

"So the egg and the milk, right?"

"That's right. So tell me, what does the recipe call for?" I pointed to my phone, watching David carefully as he took it.

"Um... two eggs. Can I crack the eggs, Y/N?"

"How about I help you? Cracking eggs is kind of hard."

"Okay."

David grabbed one of the eggs, holding it very carefully in his little hands as I reached my arm around him, setting him up to crack the egg. His face lit up when they cracked both times, and I could feel the joy practically radiating off of him.

"So, after we crack the eggs we add in the milk. Can you grab the milk for me?"

"Did you already measure it out?"

"Yeah, I did. It's right there in the glass measuring cup." David handed it to me, and he watched as I poured it in. "And now, we stir."

A set of footsteps jogged me out of my memory, and I remembered that I wasn't alone- I was in JJ's apartment. I realized now that I had a stack of at least five pancakes, and I was glad that my muscle memory knew what to do while I was lost in my thoughts. JJ came around the corner, still sleepy but mostly awake.

"Mmm.. good morning mi querido."

"Good morning, JJ." she came over and rested her head on my shoulder, to which I placed a kiss on the top of her head. "How'd you sleep?"

"Fine, until I woke up to an empty bed." she fake pouted.

"Well, sadly I didn't make the decision to become hungry, my stomach did." I chuckled. "I hope you like pancakes."

"I do. And you didn't have to do this, I could have-"

"No no, it's my treat. You've done so much to make me feel better, I should try and make you feel better too."

"The fact that you dropped everything and came last night made me feel a lot better."

"Do you think I would have left you alone?" I raised an eyebrow as I flipped the pancake. "I'd like to think that I'm better than that."

"I don't know, you were the first person I thought to call." she looked at me sheepishly. "I know everything is weird but-"

"Weird? JJ, you make me the happiest I've been in a long time. Whatever we are, whatever we'll end up being... I'm happy. And I hope you are too, because I don't know if I could go on without feeling this blissful in the morning."

"I was actually going to ask you about that... that's why Ros and I got in our fight. I... I want to give us a try, Y/N. Like, really try. Not whatever we're doing right now. The dates, the fancy outfits, the whole nine yards."

I smiled. "Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Well then, Jennifer, I'd love to- OH FUCK! The pancake!"